Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:03 am 
Obsessed

Milled last week from trees damaged in July 2016, full-4" red oak slabs for you to make a Roubo or other workbench design.

Like you have seen in Chris Schwartz, these slabs have imperfections that can be repaired with tinted epoxy or a wood patch ("Dutchman"). They were milled to the maximum sizes possible, and will have some wane on the bottom corners. Dimensions stated are the larger, rectangular side. If the wane bothers you, you can cut it off (yielding a smaller bench) or patch it. In general, I think wane on the bottom edge of a workbench is not a problem 99% of the time.

They are generally sealed on the ends and have been sprayed with Tim-Bor on all other surfaces. If you want a bigger benchtop, you can add a skirt or apron of your own. Or you can rip them in half, and have a two-part benchtop with a gap in the middle as was recently posted. If you are buying one of these, and you intend to patch the waney spots to make a fully-square edge, let me know and I will include extra pieces trimmed off of the same logs (for matching patches) at no extra charge.

Also, if you want other (airdryed or partially airdryied) RO, ash, or locust for your legs and other bench parts, let me know (with your cutlist) and I can provide that also. Give me as much notice as possible (to unstack these from big piles).

$1.50 / BF, delivered to Ypsi area. Available for only about a month. Around the time of the Nov meeting, those that are not sold will be stickered and stacked at my place up north, to dry for 4-5 years, and will become unavailable. When I sell them air-dryed after that, I will have to charge more due to the extra handling. Buy them now, green and cheap.

A 21" x 10'4" 88" usable sold to Nathan

B 21" x 10'4" Heart Rot and bug damage one end. Crotch figure (with bark inclusion one side) other end. Could be a 20 x 80" benchtop with one repairable flaw.

C 17-1/2" x 10'3" Might be the best piece. Some wane on bottom. Could be 17-1/2" x 8' benchtop. with a few small flaws. Pretty but very solid crotch figure one end.

D 18-1/2--19-1/2 tapered x 10'3" Wane on bottom. Pretty but very solid crotch figure one end. Bug damage and a hollow branch other end. Could be a 18-1/2--19-1/2 x 70" top with one flaw.

E 18 x 74" A little wane on bottom mostly one end. Has Pith with some small voids but fully usable. Very pretty flake figure entire top. I plan to bring this to the meeting Oct 12 and it is available for sale. See it in my vehicle unless you want to help bring it in.

F 17-1/2 x 74" Very similar to E.

G 14-1/2 x 75" Wane on bottom, more wane than the others. 3 small defects in face.

H 15-16" tapered x 74 Wane on bottom, more wane than the others. Solid face, clear with 3 solid small knots.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:05 pm 
Master

I'm looking forward to this and would encourage anyone else that has even kicked around doing a Schwarz-inspired slab bench to take the plunge. I have looked around a number of places and it seems that due to the "live edge" crazy for interior stuff, pretty much any log like this ends up immediately sawn into 8/4 stock. There are two sawyers that Schwarz has mentioned on his blog that specifically offer slabs for a bench like this -- one in NYC and one in NC. The NYC shop is double the prices of the NC shop, and neither compare favorably to what Dave is offering here (and that's freight considerations notwithstanding).

I haven't seen the slab I'm buying yet, but I trust Dave and am looking forward to it. I will happily post a picture of the thing for anyone that is curious. We are planning on meeting this upcoming Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 am 
Master

Hi Everyone,

Attached to this post I've included some pictures of the slightly smaller slabs that Dave mentioned in his original post above. He had one of them with him this weekend when he dropped off the slab I purchased, so I took a few pictures so anyone that wasn't able to see it at the meeting Thursday but might be interested will have some idea to see what he has.

If you're interested in a Roubo-style slab benchtop, even this slightly smaller slab looks great to me for that purpose. It's still going to be close to 6' long when finished, and Dave did a great job sawing these, so you shouldn't have to remove much material to get the faces and edges trued up, so I think you'd still land a 17"+ depth. I think most hand tool geeks will tell you they like to work on a bench that's as narrow as 16", but most importantly, no wider than maybe 22" or so, because it makes it easier to work across the surface. I could also see this being a hell of a bench for a shop where you use a big ass jointer and thickness planer to dress your stock, but then like to do more hand cut joinery.

I'm sure Dave will chime in soon and add his thoughts, but I know he had one more idea for this slab, which is why I included the detailed photos of the figure and look of the pith. In short, Dave was thinking this could make a for a very cool visual effect in panels if it were to be resawn, so it will be cool for everyone to hear Dave's ideas on that.

I tried to size these pics down to manageable for loading times, but keep them large enough that you can see the details mentioned above. If anyone wants higher res photos, let me know and I'll put an external link together for it so that it doesn't slow down the loading time of this thread.

Attachments:
IMG_20171014_111619.jpg
IMG_20171014_111619.jpg [ 444.62 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]
IMG_20171014_111615.jpg
IMG_20171014_111615.jpg [ 419.23 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]
IMG_20171014_111611.jpg
IMG_20171014_111611.jpg [ 476.17 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]
IMG_20171014_111606.jpg
IMG_20171014_111606.jpg [ 359.15 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]
IMG_20171014_111601.jpg
IMG_20171014_111601.jpg [ 352.83 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]
IMG_20171014_110522.jpg
IMG_20171014_110522.jpg [ 227.44 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:03 pm 
Obsessed

Well, I can't complain about Nathan's file-size, since He's posting it for me. Normally, I think 50-150K per photo is plenty. But enough about that.

I am gonna keep thses slabs out (on sawhorses under tarps) until mid-Nov, hoping to sell some to you. Around then, whatever is left I will sticker it in a big pile and airdry them for 4-5 years. So if you want to buy any green and cheap, let me know asap.

But the one in Nathan's photos (and I have another one just like that), I'm becoming inspired by the image in the pith which looks like a little tree inside the slab. (And in fact, it IS the voung tree inside the slab cut from the old tree.)

I'm thinking this nature-made "inlay" would be great as a table top (at much less than 4" thick) or as a pair of bookmatched cabinet doors. Or even to resaw it to (maybe 3/16" or 1/8") shopsawn "thick veneer" and then there could be a lot of copies of this "image" and it could be a lot of tabletops or cabinet doors.

Any thoughts about this? Should I saw it thinner now, or wait until dry? I'm not sure about resawing it on a vertical BS, or back to the sawmill that cut the slabs originally. I will probably repair some of the voids before resawing, and that seems to call for drying first. Anyway, there are still a bunch for sale for your Roubo or other bench project.