Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 pm 
Master

On October 12th, the Southeast Michigan Woodworkers Club meeting topic will be: Game Changers Night
For Game Changers Night, everyone is asked to bring in something they have gotten that is new to the woodworking market, somewhat less advertised or used in another area that might help others. The following are already being planned; Vacuum Clamps, Quiet Air Compressor, New tech ROS, Polymer nails, New tech track saw…
Join the discussion and bring your experience with you!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meetings are held on the 2nd Thursday of the month at
Maker Works
3765 Plaza Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Starting at 7:00 pm and ending at 8:45 pm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topics for the rest of 2017 are:
o November: Veneering small pieces without vacuum. Shop made manual press, hot iron, Hammer veneering and 3M spray adhesive.
o December: Social night, Show and Tell, with prizes

Tentative topics for the first 2 months of 2018 are;
• January 2018: Card Scraper sharpening and use. Several methods of sharpening will be shown. Also, a discussion will get into the choice of scraping and sanding, or the synergy of each. If you have a card scraper, bring it to the meeting and we will attempt to have some hands on available.
• February 2018: Finishing options without spraying. Wiping finishes, milk paint and metal paint will be discussed and shown. Due to the meeting room we may not be able to demonstrate all methods at the meeting.

A survey was done in 2016 and we are going to repeat it again later this year. From that survey, the remainder of 2018 Topics will be chosen. If you have a topic to propose for the survey, send the topic title and brief information to the SEMIWW Board by personal message.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other announcements;

• Group build of Bill Well’s veneer slicer is being planned out. The club is going to provide precut templates to people who want to make one along with some nice wood. Members will use template to route the final shape after cutting to rough size with bandsaw, jigsaw or as they choose. The blades have been procured and will be given with the template. Goal is for all of it to come together for the October meeting. The metal holder is still being worked out.

• Joinery Demonstration email was sent. It will take place on Oct 3rd for up to 10 people. If more than 10 signups, a second demonstration will be held. Anyone not on the original list that is interested or didn’t get the email should send a message to the SEMIWW Board.

• Gyll Stanford will give a presentation for Show / Tell in October about a round multi-story addition he built to his house.

• The response to the Wood Preparation Demonstration, Veneer Workshop and Joinery Demonstration was great and the board has decided to repeat those annually. We are also looking for other skill sharing demonstrations and workshops. If you have a suggestion, send a mess to the SEMIWW Board.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:32 pm 
Elite

bump

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:28 pm 

I have a question. I have been on the forums for a while now but i have never been able to attend the meetings. Mostly because i was on night shift at work. i would love to come to a meeting now but i don't know if you have to show some sort of identification or be on a list or anything like that. So my question is do i need to RSVP or anything else to come to our monthly meetings.

Thank You
Erik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:52 pm 
Obsessed

Erik Lancaster wrote:
I have a question. I have been on the forums for a while now but i have never been able to attend the meetings. Mostly because i was on night shift at work. i would love to come to a meeting now but i don't know if you have to show some sort of identification or be on a list or anything like that. So my question is do i need to RSVP or anything else to come to our monthly meetings.

Thank You
Erik

Just show up, Erik. Although it's traditional (but not required) that folks bring cookies to their first meeting. Homemade, and still warm from the oven will definitely get you some appreciation, but store-bought works just fine too!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 pm 
Obsessed

erik, we'd love to see you, no ID, dues, or anything else required. except cookies. yeah, those.

--- dz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 pm 
Elite

Bump

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:46 pm 

It's my first meeting tonight! I am coming from Royal Oak, so if I have time to make cookies I will, otherwise... I will be forced to procure some!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 pm 
Elite

Spartenos wrote:
It's my first meeting tonight! I am coming from Royal Oak, so if I have time to make cookies I will, otherwise... I will be forced to procure some!

Not a problem, look forward to seeing you at the meeting.