Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finished the bench
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:14 am 
Apprentice

Attachment:
IMG_20170924_120026900_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170924_120026900_HDR.jpg [ 241.04 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]

Finally finished my bench this weekend. Wagon Vise (Veritas Shoulder Vise Screw) on the right end and Wilton left, and a 7"x8"x1/2" A36 Steel Anvil Plate inset. The working section is 12" deep 6' long and the back is 10"x 6'. Under carriage is Red Cedar. Finish is 2 coats of 50/50 thinned Minwax Polyurethane - natural on top and the edges along with the legs are stained with Minwax Gun Stock which I had laying around from an Eagle Scout Project.

Each bench top is held on with six 4" "Timber lok" Truss Screws and the stringers are secured by 4 Bench Bolts from Woodcraft. The bench is specifically designed to be knocked down into 6 pieces for easy transport when I move (again!) in 2 more years.

I was going to install a couple of "T-tracks" in it but have since decide not to that. I still need to make up a few bench accessories particularly a bench hook, a shooting board and I need to install a shelf on top of the stringers.

Post subject: Re: Finished the bench
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:24 am 
Elite

Almost to pretty to use. Nicely done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 pm 
Apprentice

Location: Pittsfield Township (at intersection of US 23 and I-94 near Ann Arbor)
Awesome!

very well done.

Do you have plans for a removable tool tray in the middle, as Chris Schwartz and others have done?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 pm 

Looks great! I hope that mine turns out that well when I finally get around to finishing it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:53 am 
Apprentice

That looks fantastic; great job!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:57 pm 
Obsessed

Looks good. Good knock-down design. Laminated pine 2x4s, right? You might want to replace the pine wagon-vise "jaw" with a hardwood piece, or even metal. When the vise is used with dogs, that spot will take a lot of stress. I'd also consider some steel tie-rods across the two sections near the front vise. When you have work clamped between dogs at the front vise, the force will tend to push your two tops apart against the screws underneath. I put such tie-rods (3/8" steel threaded rod) in when I built my benchtop, and I will for my next bench, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am 
Apprentice

Dial-up Dave wrote:
Looks good. Good knock-down design. Laminated pine 2x4s, right? You might want to replace the pine wagon-vise "jaw" with a hardwood piece, or even metal. When the vise is used with dogs, that spot will take a lot of stress. I'd also consider some steel tie-rods across the two sections near the front vise. When you have work clamped between dogs at the front vise, the force will tend to push your two tops apart against the screws underneath. I put such tie-rods (3/8" steel threaded rod) in when I built my benchtop, and I will for my next bench, too.

Yes lam'd 2x4 white wood stock - not the best but affordable, I can beat on it an not feet bad. It falls apart (with effort and intention) in 6 pcs (2 Top, 2 Ends, 2 Stretchers) so I can get it easily moved in two years.

Great ideas too - thanks. I'll hang fire on the Wagon Vise upgrade until it fails or maybe when I move and get the top off and flipped. I need to cut the traveler out from the bottom (didn't think about needing to replace it) so that will be a pain. The cross stretcher is a must though. Hadn't thought of that either. The only thing keeping the two halves together is 6 lags on each end. While they won't shear off, the wood would/could/may split. And I have a hunk of 3/8" Rod, nuts, washers, and a tapping die laying around too.

Thanks again for the thoughts.