Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upcoming Events ??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 am 
Obsessed

Last night at the Sept meeting, Steve talked about topics for upcoming meetings, but it was hard to follow. I think he said that this was posted, but I'm looking and I don't see it.

I thought I heard (and my hearing is getting bad, so I might have imagined it) something about veneer. Applying it? Cutting it??

While I greatly appreciate all the work that the Board and presenters do for our meetings, it seems that notice of meeting topics has become later and later in recent months. Could I ask for more-advanced notice of upcoming meeting topics and other club events?

Or could it be that notice was posted so far in advance that by the time it gets close to the event (like one month before) I have forgotten it and it has slipped way down the list? In which case, I ask for a timely reposting or reminder...

Thanks, guys.

Post subject: Re: Upcoming Events ??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 am 
Elite

Actually you are probably right. I do the emails and Steve posts on the site so we might get a little more notice on these. But one reason for my emails going out the Friday before is that it's more of a reminder. If someone has a family or work conflict there's nothing to be done, but if they have a free evening, then I want the notice to be within their span of memory...so to speak. So they'll think "Next week Thursday...." and put it on their calendar. But again, I could easily do an email a month out, then a week out.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 am 
Obsessed

Thanks, Jay. The e-mails are OK but I would prefer more-advanced upcoming-meeting posting on the site. Under "Meetings, etc" there are not many listings (and there is no reason for the cancelled picnic to be at the top of the pile now) so if it was posted there earlier we could always know where to look.

Looking back at the record of these postings, I see the pattern of posting on the previous Fri most months, but sometimes not until 2 days before. I missed the Aug meeting because by the time it was posted I had made other plans (influenced in part by the history that we have often not met in summer months so I didn't even know if there was a meeting happening). I know these topics are planned several months out, not just the week before, so why keep the rest of us in the dark?

Like I said above, Steve announced several upcoming topics, but so fast I couldn't follow it. Can we have it in writing on the site? Even if it is tentative-subject-to-change, I'd rather have some info to plan in advance.

And thanks again for the work the Board does. I am not dissing the work you do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 am 
Elite

Dial-up Dave wrote:
Like I said above, Steve announced several upcoming topics, but so fast I couldn't follow it.

Excellent point Dave, being we are limited on time due to being a weekday night and Maker Works turning off the lights at 9:00, I sometimes try to get the preliminaries out of the way a bit quick for the main topic presentation. There is no reason not to have future topics and announcements made at the meeting on the website and we need to do that in the future. And yes, we have been delinquent in getting the meeting notice (topic) posted, goal has been the week after the meeting with email reminder on first of the month.

• Rest of the year is:
    o October: Game Changers Night. FT Vacuum Clamp, Quiet Air Compressor, New tech ROS, Polymer nails, Track saws…
    o November: Veneer small pieces without vacuum. Manual press, hot iron, veneer hammer and 3M glue.
    o December: Social night, Show and Tell, with prizes

***For Game Changers Night, everyone is asked to bring in something they have gotten that is somewhat less advertised or marketed that might help others.***

Other preliminaries mentioned at the meeting;
    • Chip Charney is having small tool and lumber giveaway Monday 25th. See website for info.
    • Group build of Bill Well’s veneer slicer is being planned
    • Picnic was cancelled, number of people below necessary
    • An email is coming to people who signed up for the Joinery Demonstrations, probably Oct 3 and/or Oct 5. Any people not on the original list that are interested could send email to the SEMIWW board

Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:26 pm 
Obsessed

SteveStram wrote:
Dial-up Dave wrote:
Like I said above, Steve announced several upcoming topics, but so fast I couldn't follow it.

• Chip Charney is having small tool and lumber giveaway Monday 25th. See website for info.

Correction. The give away date is Sunday, 24 Sept. See updated post in the classifieds later this evening.