Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:54 am 
Apprentice

Good morning all,

As much as I would love to build a detached garage after a lot of research and pouring over property drawings and HOA rules/regs I think it's just not going to be in the cards for a long time. That being said one of the things I would gain with a second garage would have been a wood working shop on the second floor. The way my property sits it would have actually been on ground level at the back which would have made loading in larger material very easy.

Right now my make shift shop is the basement and due to the layout of my stairs in the finished section I can't get anything longer than 8' down the stair well. That being said I think it would be possible to install a cellar door (or Bilco door) going into the unfinished wood shop section of my basement. This would be significantly cheaper than a second garage, it would allow me to bring in larger material with ease and also add value to the home.

Has anyone added this type of system to an existing home? If so any suggestions on a contractor that did the work? Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:46 pm 
Elite

We have a Bilco door on our house. I spec'ed it when i designed the house. My wife thought I was crazy, all the contractors loved it and now my wife wouldn't be without it. The only issue we have which was a function of the plan and the site is that the stairs are steeper, though up to code, than I would like. If you go this route I'd recommend that you try to get the slope of the stairs as shallow as possible so that moving stuff i and out is easier and safer than a regular stairway. I do not know any contractors any more and, if I were doing it to an existing house I would want the best basement/underground contractor I could find.