Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 pm 

Evening All!

Hopefully everyone can still see and hasn't been blinded by the light.... er...eclipse....

I just wanted to give positive recognition to HMI, and specifically, to Justin McKenzie at HMI. I am relatively new to the world of fine furniture making and have very little experience with mills. You don't need much knowledge when you are getting KD Pine 2x4's :). I reached out to HMI on a whim, looking for a place that was somewhat local (I am in Royal Oak) and I could get a decent price without ordering 2000 Board Feet. This is a hobby for me and I am still gathering some tools, so I am not pushing out custom orders en masse - nor do I have the room to store a ton of wood. Justin worked with me (very patiently, answering every single question I had, without making me feel dumb), and I was able to pickup my first delivery of Cherry this morning. It is currently unloaded and sitting in the garage, waiting for me to better sort and sticker it - and then mill it.

I saw that sometimes the board does mass orders via HMI (Kinda wish I had gotten in on the Maple one, oh well - Next time!) and just wanted to throw out another positive experience with them.

Now, let's make some sawdust!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:25 pm 
Obsessed

you can still get in on the maple order.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:37 pm 

I mentioned the Maple order - He knew exactly who I was talking about! I will throw some numbers together and shoot you a PM.

Very happy with what I picked up today. Looking forward to trying to make the next meeting to meet some of you fine folk!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:13 am 
Journeyman

Great to hear! I'm curious - what did you get and at what price?
I'm interested in some cherry as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:34 am 
Master

I thought that this place was just for larger commercial orders. You can get small qty's there also?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:21 am 
Apprentice

Bump.

I'd also like if you can get smaller quantities from hmi.
Alot closer to me then johnsons, Armstrong or kencraft. I'm about to pickup 60-100 bdft of cherry and love to not make the drive from Ann Arbor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:49 pm 

All,

Sorry for the delay!

They are for large commercial orders, I was able to bump in off of another order that they were doing. Right place, right time.

The pricing was fantastic - I don't have a membership card so I can't get any of the special pricing, and even with that, I was still at around $2.80 a BF.

I haven't gone through much of it. It is all rough (not skip planed) One of the boards that I planed up had some wild grain patterns in it - all open and circular. Haven't skip planed much of it yet as I simply haven't had the time. It was all good quality as far as I can tell.

It was graded as FAB - which I am not sure what FAB means? Couldn't find much information on that grading and didn't ask them.

I'll know more in a week or two here when I finish the current project (shadow box) and move to the next project (coffee table). At that point I can give you guys a solid recommendation on them.

Before them I went to Armstrong, and while it was more expensive, the quality of lumber I got was VERY good.
Will also be looking for some white oak here before too long I think as well. LOVE Cherry though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:55 pm 
Apprentice

Just a heads up, The Sam Beauford Woodshop and Woodworking Career Institute will be doing a FREE seminar on grading lumber.
The class will be taught by SBW board member and HMI CEO Bob Vogel at our facilities in Adrian, Michigan
The class will be in late November or early December on a Saturday.
We will post it to our website when we have the date nailed down.
Leave a comment if you are interested.
http://www.sambeaufordwoodshop.com
Thank you
-Luke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 am 
Obsessed

FAS means "firsts and seconds", first and second quality, mixed.

I never heard of FAB, firsts and better???? That should be a real high-quality load. A FABulous load.

But why don't you ask the guys you bought it from, if they are so communicative?

I think that Johnson's brochure or website has a good explanation of lumber-grading terms, which can surely be opaque. Or google it?

Welcome aboard. So to speak.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:51 am 

Dave,

I did everything but ask them, mainly because I didn't care THAT much..... :)

The boards overall have been good. On a camping trip right now, but once we get back, I will be going through that stack and then some....

Thanks! This place seems to be a good board and I'm happy to be herea