Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:03 pm 
Elite

I've often thought of getting one of these but wasn't sure if they are useful, or accurate enough. You're not going to do cabinetry with it of course, but I've been installing a ton of baseboard, window casings and the like and the accuracy of this one is probably sufficient for that kind of work since you (I) always seem to cut it once, then shave a 1/16 off to make it fit just right after testing the fit. This one is good to 1/16", much cheaper ones are good to 1/8". Just wondering what the consensus is.

Jay

Attachments:
Bosch GLM 35.jpg
Bosch GLM 35.jpg [ 93.2 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:26 pm 
Master

I've always considered them as intended for measuring larger dimensions like rooms. Great for pricing jobs and ordering materials, but not for actual cuts. I may be wrong; I don't own one.

-Mitch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:43 am 
Master

Jay-

I used these all of the time in my previous job. However, we used them to measure very large spaces (theaters / event spaces) to allow us to then draw it in AutoCAD. I have used a few different ones over the years. The one I currently own and still use time to time is the Leica D2. Compact and very accurate. Good balance of cost and features.

Soon I will be starting a mudroom build out for some friends of ours. When I went to their house to measure the space I used my Leica D2 disto. It was great and I trust the measurements it gives. As with anything cost goes up or down mostly based on features, however the super cheap ones start to have less accuracy and length they can measure.

Hope this helps. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:20 pm 
Master

I use them for measuring rooms and spaces for cabinets and the like, because Bosch has an awesome app that will load the numbers via Bluetooth onto a picture you take of the space, I tried it for running base moulding but found it clumsy at best, we did find it very handy for running crown mounding, it saved at least one guys labor cost on some tall ceilings. I'm not real sure how you would use it for casing though,