Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:24 pm 
Apprentice

Latest project: A three-drawer desk in the Craftsman style. It is constructed with quarter-sawn white oak throughout, except for the drawer sides and bottoms, which are maple. The breadboard ends are pegged with Gabon ebony. The pulls are from House of Antique Hardware.

The desk is finished with oil-based polyurethane, a finish I don't usually use except that this piece needs to be extra durable.

This project has been on the list for a number of years and thanks to my wife's insistence, it's finally behind me. Enjoy.

Attachment:
IMG_3233.JPG
IMG_3233.JPG [ 269.75 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3239.JPG
IMG_3239.JPG [ 153.96 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3234.JPG
IMG_3234.JPG [ 224.77 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3237.JPG
IMG_3237.JPG [ 220.97 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 pm 
Obsessed

that's a beautiful piece of furniture - great work!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:03 pm 
Elite

Dave, that's a beautiful piece. You have every right to be proud.

dan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:27 pm 
Elite

That is a "wow" piece.
Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 am 
Elite

Yeah, nice. Love quarter sawn oak on the top and legs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:01 pm 
Apprentice

Thanks guys....I appreciate the kind remarks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:31 pm 
Elite

Absolutely beautiful! Love the look of the QSWO.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 pm 
Master

Really nice job. The wood grain is great, as others have mentioned, but also like the pulls and the clean lines.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:09 am 
Master

Wow, that is stunning. It kinda looks like a hybrid between a Stickley and G&G design, and I like it. Obviously, QSWO like this is Stickley through and through, but the fact that you did ebony drawbore pegs and finished the oak much lighter than most Stickley stuff gives it some of that G&G style, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:36 pm 
Apprentice

I gave some thought to fuming it with ammonia, but given its size (64" long, 35" wide, 30" high) I thought the result would not be worth the effort. The ebony dowels (3/8") I made using a Lie Nielsen dowel plate after first getting the stock prepared using a spokeshave on the ebony stock. I didn't show the through dovetails on the rear of the drawers nor the drawer framework, which is pretty complex given the size of the piece. The thing is amazingly heavy, btw, and took a lot of effort to move it from my shop into the house.

In any case, thanks much for your comments and observations. As you know, getting feedback from one's peers is invaluable in our craft.

- David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:20 pm 
Master

Very cool details on the dowels, thanks for sharing. Those plates look cool. To this point, anything I've drawbored I've just got an assortment of dowels from Woodcraft, but for sure someday a dowel plate will be in order, especially for something more specialized like that.

I don't blame you for not fuming it. I love the classic Stickley fumed look, but it has its risks, and it's nice to see something in QSWO that's not so dark for a change, it really has nice contrast with the hardware and the ebony pegs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:22 pm 
Master

Very nice!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:11 pm 
Apprentice

jayed_coins wrote:
Very cool details on the dowels, thanks for sharing. Those plates look cool. To this point, anything I've drawbored I've just got an assortment of dowels from Woodcraft, but for sure someday a dowel plate will be in order, especially for something more specialized like that.

I don't blame you for not fuming it. I love the classic Stickley fumed look, but it has its risks, and it's nice to see something in QSWO that's not so dark for a change, it really has nice contrast with the hardware and the ebony pegs.

The nice thing about a dowel plate, btw, is that it pays for itself in a very short period of time. This is because you can use little scraps from your woodworking to create dowels whenever you need them with zero cost of materials, in any species you have on hand, with very little effort, and almost no waste. You can easily make a dowel plate if you have a drill press, some scrap steel, and a propane torch to harden the steel if your budget doesn't have room for one from the woodworking retailers.

- David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:45 am 
Apprentice

Sweet desk! Love the ebony detail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:46 am 
Apprentice

I literally said "wow" out loud. This is an amazing desk; I love the joinery. Great job!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:47 pm 
Obsessed

Great work, David!!

I love that you left a little sapwood in the top - nice touch!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:32 pm 
Apprentice

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:08 pm 

This is fantastic! As a new woodworker just starting and trying to figure things out, it's pieces like this that keep me going to work hard at this. Thanks for the inspiration.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:37 am 
Elite

Nice work. I like the elongated corbels on the legs and the beveled top. As for fuming, you can wipe on an ammonia solution for larger pieces like this that are harder to box. It just requires extra sanding from the grain raising.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:01 pm 
Apprentice

Thanks. I'll be starting, in a couple of weeks, a Craftsman-style desk lamp in quartersawn whlte oak, and I plan to fume it with ammonia to get some experience with the technique.

Do you know of any local suppliers of industrial ammonia? I'm sure I can find some by poking around the Internet, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the kind remarks about the desk.

- David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm 
Master

David Katz wrote:
Thanks. I'll be starting, in a couple of weeks, a Craftsman-style desk lamp in quartersawn whlte oak, and I plan to fume it with ammonia to get some experience with the technique.

Do you know of any local suppliers of industrial ammonia? I'm sure I can find some by poking around the Internet, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the kind remarks about the desk.

- David

I have read art stores, though this may be lower concentration. I have also read any janitorial supply... not sure of any companies. And if you can find a company that does blueprints, they would at least have a line on strong stuff.

That said, no disrespect to anyone that has done it, but I ultimately punted on this idea for the two projects I did along these lines due to the MSDS. Especially the real industrial strength stuff, it was just not something I was going to have in my garage, let alone in my basement. Of course, your mileage may vary if you've got a much better shop setup than I do, so more power to ya' if you're setup to do it safely.

I ultimately have used a combination of Watco dark walnut as a base stain, followed by garnet shellac to bring up the sheen and add a deeper hue (the Watco on QSWO lacks depth), followed by Liberon Black Bison wax in "Tudor Oak" to finish it off. In the sample boards I made and the two projects I did with it, I prefer the look w/ one coat of the Watco, two very light coats of shellac, and two passes of the wax put on with 0000 steel wool.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:27 pm 
Apprentice

Location: Pittsfield Township (at intersection of US 23 and I-94 near Ann Arbor)
Beautiful! Well done.