Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finished projects
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:12 am 
Apprentice

Here's a couple projects I've finished up. A new top for my Workmate 550. A till for my saw blades. And a small Pear handled screwdriver.

Attachment:
IMG_20170813_093805991-v2.jpg
IMG_20170813_093805991-v2.jpg [ 95.74 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_20170806_194930284-v2.jpg
IMG_20170806_194930284-v2.jpg [ 52.2 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]
IMG_20170807_163338226-v2.jpg
IMG_20170807_163338226-v2.jpg [ 75.06 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]

Post subject: Re: Finished projects
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:12 am 
Master

Very nice! I really like that pear handle, and the workmate upgrade looks like a dream station for extra workholding, especially when your main bench is taken up with multiple projects going. Looks like a good height for finishing, too.

I'm close to finishing my first "chair" (okay, well, it's a stool for my kids but the construction is traditional Windsor-esque even though it's on a smaller, simpler scale :) ). The finish is layered milk paint, I'll be putting on the first coat of the second layer today. I anticipate one more coat tomorrow. I'll probably let it dry until Sunday night and then I'll be doing a beeswax/linseed oil combo to up the sheen and burnish it. So unless the paint coverage demands a third coat, I hope I'll have it all done and I'll post pictures of the full build process on Monday.

I have a cherry bookshelf in the works, too, but that's farther out. The dressed stock sat for a month stickered as I went on with the stool; fortunately, it stayed stable. Last week I got back to it and made my templates for the mortises and cutouts on the sides, got those marked out, and started cutting them on one side. I imagine with the stool finishing up this weekend, I'll get back to the bookshelf the following weekend. This one is fun because it has coping saw work which is not entirely new to me, but in this type or project and scale it is, so I'm wrestling a bit with my technique. I'm sure the second side board will go 50% quicker than the first side is. :) Typical.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:37 pm 
Apprentice

Thanks - I SOOO want to build a chair. Maybe a stool would be a good "starter" project for me. The workmate is working out better than I thought. It's already a fixing, sawing, carving center. I'm looking forward to the shots of the stool as it's finished.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:00 pm 
Master

berklich wrote:
Thanks - I SOOO want to build a chair. Maybe a stool would be a good "starter" project for me. The workmate is working out better than I thought. It's already a fixing, sawing, carving center. I'm looking forward to the shots of the stool as it's finished.

That's exactly what I went for -- I wanted to build a chair but wanted to get a basic grasp of the techniques and some of the tools I hadn't used before, like the drawknife.

I have two sons, a 4 and 2 year old. The 4 year old shows interest in the workshop, so I asked him a few months ago what he'd like to build, and he said, "Let's make a stool!" So it kind of worked out perfect in being something he's interested in and something I wanted to learn from.

He wasn't able to do much in terms of stock prep, or shaping the legs with the drawknife (yikes), but he helped me cut out the seat blank using our big Disston miter saw (I provided a little extra muscle behind his :) ). And he helped with the first layer of paint (red). I will probably do the black layer over the top on my own, and then have him help me wax it to finish up.

And then we'll see just how sloppy my leg tenons were once he and his brother start bashing on it daily, haha...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 pm 
Master

Very useful Workmate top. What was the reasoning around the placement of the holes?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 am 
Apprentice

Brant Fries wrote:
Very useful Workmate top. What was the reasoning around the placement of the holes?

I have a couple of carving projects in mind so the center is laid out to accommodate those and the rest are "while I'm already drilling..." Really I did the re-top because I was looking for a portable carving bench and this seemed to be an easy multifunction answer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:02 pm 
Obsessed

What kind of hold-downs do you have on that workmate top? Don't recognize them. They look interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:45 pm 
Apprentice

Steve Sawyer wrote:
What kind of hold-downs do you have on that workmate top? Don't recognize them. They look interesting!

The steel toggle clamps (I think they are call vise hold downs?) are vintage Workmate about $30-$50 on eBay when you can find them. They work great.