Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NPR on the Gass bus
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:27 pm 
Master

I'm sending NPR an email to see if they will do a write up on my company that is so blatantly promotional.
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/10/542474093 ... er-drag-on

Post subject: Re: NPR on the Gass bus
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 pm 
Elite

I heard that story on the air. What the reporter, and regulators, fail to recognize, is that if Bosch or Dewalt comes out with that device they will be sued mercilessly by everyone that owns one of their saws using the argument that the safety device should have been included on their saw. The auto industry went through this with airbags, if you voluntarily included them as an option, then all the other vehicles are by default less safe, and the manufacturer's "knowingly" produced a vehicle that was unsafe, thus opening them up to liability.

Didn't Bosch buy SawStop?

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:05 pm 
Obsessed

i also heard the story, and found it somewhat infuriating. i think festool bought sawstop....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:35 pm 
Elite

If you want to be infuriated, read this:

"I just read an article on the Boston Globe’s website about a guy in Malden, Mass., who was awarded $1.5 million in damages in a suit against One World Technologies, Inc., makers of Ryobi tools.

According to the complaint filed in 2006, Carlos Osorio suffered serious finger injuries using a tablesaw while cutting some oak flooring. The suit alleged that One World was negligent because its saws lack “flesh-detection technology,” which the plaintiffs claim would have prevented Osorio’s injuries. The device, invented by Steve Gass and manufactured by SawStop, stops a sawblade in an instant when it makes contact with skin. The safety feature was pitched to major saw manufacturers by Gass, but according to SawStop, licensing negotiations broke down and no agreements were reached. In the end, Gass and his colleagues, David Fanning and David Fulmer, launched the SawStop line of tablesaws on their own.

According to the story, this case is one of more than 50 suits pending throughout the U.S. against tablesaw manufacturers for failure to include the flesh-detection technology in their products."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:10 am 
Master

Bosch has a saw with flesh sensing technology. When they brought it to the US Sawstop sued (and won) for patent infringement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:22 am 
Apprentice

I wouldn't fault the reporter for not getting the story 100% right, table saw technology and safety is a pretty niche topic. The main thing that was left out of the story was that while Gas is pushing for regulation to require this technology on all table saws, he is simultaneously suing anyone that does bring it to market, even when someone like Bosch has a technology that is mechanically different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am 
Obsessed

i don't have an issue with the quality of the saw, the concept, price, innovation... none of that. what i find incredibly distasteful is the approach of using regulation and (effectively) lobbying as a marketing tool to sell your product and kill competition. that's why i'll never buy a sawstop - not because it's not a great saw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 am 
Master

I definitely agree with the arguments against mandating this technology, but I'm not sure I understand the disappointment in the NPR story? Admittedly, maybe the on-air segment was more brief out of necessity, but I read the full article, and it plainly explains the main arguments against the proposed rule:

Quote:
Even after all this time, it's unclear whether the CPSC will vote to adopt the rule. The industry for years has had a long list of complaints and concerns about mandating this kind of safety standard. For one, adding the safety technology will add cost to the saws. The industry has said the cost is too onerous. But those cost estimates have ranged over time.

Quote:
Susan Young with the industry group the Power Tool Institute claimed at the hearing that some of the commission's research in this area is flawed. She said the proposed rule needs even more study and "lacks essential data from critical studies currently being conducted and continuing throughout 2017."

CPSC Acting Chairman Ann Marie Buerkle said she was also concerned that the rule might force companies to license technology from SawStop, which she said might create a monopoly.

The article also makes the point that the CPSC's job is product safety, and that issues of anti-trust would have to be handled elsewhere. For sure, it doesn't make the shady way SawStop has gone about this any less frustrating, but I have a hard time ragging on the story.