Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Delta jointer help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:04 pm 

I have the 8” 37-301 I purchased from another member. I’ve been using it for the past year no problem but it’s sat for the past few months as I was busy getting ready for my first kid. I noticed the outfeed table sagging as is common and I’ve fixed on other jointers before but I’m at a standstill here. I can’t shim it nearly enough to get it coplanner and I think it’s a problem with me and not the machine. Anyone want to help me out? I’ll pay you for your time or give you beer or mow your lawn...help!

Post subject: Re: Delta jointer help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:55 pm 
Elite

I don't have any particular experience in that problem, but I've rebuilt quite a few of those. Seems like you might need to shim the infeed as well. But they shouldn't really ever be so far out that you can't bring them back. It might be that the brass slide in the outfeed ways have slipped out of position, or you have them in wrong. How are you measuring the droop in the outfeed table?

It might be a combination of both infeed and outfeed tables, not just the outfeed.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:42 pm 

Hello Jay,

I think I purchased this from you if I remember correctly. I’m using feeler gauges and a woodpecker precision straight edge. I got the indfed and the cutter head dead on and was trying to get the outfeed straightened out referencing the infeed that’s coplaner with the cutter head. That was my plan and it made sense in my head and has worked before but I’m not sure if it’s the sleep deprivation from the baby or something else but I can’t seem to get it back in line.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 pm 
Elite

Well...you can't be coplaner with the head because it's a circle. The outfeed needs to be tangental to the cutting circle otherwise you'll get a dip at the end. Then of course the infeed needs to be coplaner with the outfeed. It should not be off by more than a few thousandths. Which jointer is this, the one with the cast iron base?

Still sounds like you don't have the ways put together right with that brass slide that's in there.

How much dip is there measured at the end of the table. Cast iron droops over the years.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:16 am 

Yea I mean it’s coplaner with the top dead center of the cutter head. Yea it’s the pot belly one. I’ll measure and see how far it’s off exactly. How would you recommend I start from scratch and try again?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:46 pm 
Elite

Bill, those jointers are never off all that much, .003 or so would be my guess. But if it's dramatically off then I think you have an assembly issue. Those brass slides that go between the ways, and are held snug by the set screws can change the end of the bed quite a bit with only a little adjustment. I would take the tables out, clean everything off, grease, dust, anything that might have been trapped in there and then carefully reassemble. Adjusting the ways to get enough friction to be snug and loose enough to move is a trial and error process. But also examine the brass shims for wear too, and mic them end to end.

Report back on your progress!

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 pm 

I moved the infeed and everything was fine. I had this mindset that I adjusted the infeed to the cutter head and now I was going to get the outfeed to match when in reality it was easier to do it the opposite way. I had everything together right, I was just trying to make the outfeed do something it couldn’t do. I think the lack of sleep had me in a haze, thanks for the advice.
Bill