Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 pm 
Obsessed

I've been doing upgrade projects on my house since I moved into the house in 2000. Every time I do another house project, I'm left with the extra material that I've kept and stored. I've got a lot of space tied up in material I know I'll probably never use, (but that I'm afraid I'd need it a week later if I tossed it).

Stuff like: Hardie siding and trim boards, coil stock from the window replacement, tile from the kitchen-bathroom-basement- front hallway, iron balusters, etc. Some of it's just small stuff like touch up paints, caulk, extra parts from any installation, etc. Its not enough of any one material to bother listing on CraigsList.

I'm not worried about the base construction materials like wood, pipe, wire, etc. because I'm always using that kind of stuff on the next project or giving it to someone for their project.

Let's say I'm going to stay in the house for another 3-5 years. Help me create a good rule of thumb for what to keep and how long to keep it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 pm 
Elite

Get a dumpster!

I have to laugh at this post because I'm in the same boat. I just put a bunch of Hardie Plank siding, trim, fascia material and the like, along with 5 sheet of OSB, on Craigs List and got $100 for it and more importantly he took it all! Excess building material is a real problem since I too think I'll need it next week! But since we downsized I'm going to have to be brutal about what to save and what to get rid of.

My rule of thumb is that if I can run down to Lowe's or Home Depot and get what I need for $20 some day, it's not worth keeping. Besides, knowing that you have a brass valve somewhere is one thing, finding it is another!

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:28 pm 
Elite

Jay Houghton wrote:
knowing that you have a brass valve somewhere is one thing, finding it is another!
Jay

+1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 am 
Obsessed

I kept it all until I moved and left it for the next owner after discussing with him. We inherited some here, along with a lot of other crap they just didn't feel like taking. And after our hail storm repair, the supply company driver suggested I grab all the loose siding, open coil of trim stock, and some torn bundles of shingles because they just pick that stuff up as a courtesy, but don't count it in what they give credit for so I have all that stuff stored in the rafters of my shed. On the other hand, the roofers let me throw the old bundles of shingles left in the shed in the dumpster so odds are low they get used.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 am 
Elite

I would dump most of it. Except for the paint and a few tile.
I picked up a pack of canning jars at ACE and put my extra touch up paint in them. Saved a lot of room and made it easy to fine paint for touch up.
I have also started dating all chemicals (paint, stain, cleaners, glue) in my house so I know how old they are. Don't like to use stuff that is 2 or 3 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 am 
Master

Doesnt Habitat for Humanity ReStore take those items?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:14 am 
Obsessed

i was going to say, i donated 90% of the leftovers i had. even one-offs. don't throw an item away if it's serviceable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:17 am 
Obsessed

Yes, Habitat down here will take even marginally serviceable items. We rarely toss anything that's not actual trash--either save or donate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 am 
Master

I am 32 and have only owned one home, the one I'm currently in. But the one thing I learned that you might find helpful is -- KEEP THE TILE! And keep it with the house even if you plan on selling in the near future. The next owners will thank you!

The previous owners of our house put an addition on the kitchen and completely redid it. When they tiled it, clearly they had leftover tile and decided to use the leftovers to do the master bath. The full story aside... the tile suits a kitchen and was done well enough there, but they weren't careful on leveling their backer on the bathroom floor, and I think they may have used mastic that they was long in the tooth. So I had the pleasure of doing a new bathroom floor. Anyhow, the tiles in that bathroom came out so easily because of the bad mastic -- I probably got 60% of them out with no damage, and it wasn't a delicate approach to do so.

So I stacked up the spare tiles and put them in my garage attic. And sure as shit, between my 4 year old and 2 year old, I've now got two tiles in my kitchen with significant cracks and chips, and probably another three or four that have faint cracks in them. Now, I don't have to try and match tile or completely redo the kitchen floor -- in few years when the wild boys are a bit older and tamer, I've got the spares, I know they match perfect, and it cost me $0. Can't beat that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:33 pm 
Elite

The problem with Humanity ReStore, I bring home more then I take. The one in Farmington Hills just add a section of reclaimed hardwood. Price is high but fun to look at.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:08 pm 
Obsessed

zaret wrote:
i was going to say, i donated 90% of the leftovers i had. even one-offs. don't throw an item away if it's serviceable.

Oh, I had no idea they would take small quantities... maybe it would still be there if I ever needed it. I've never been in one of their stores, so now's my chance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 pm 
Elite

Before you run over with half gallons of varnish check with them. When we were cleaning out Dave's shop, and had a monumental collection of stuff, the ReStore would not take most of it. Unopened cans I think they will but not used stock. But I could be wrong...
Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:18 pm 
Obsessed

Jay Houghton wrote:
Before you run over with half gallons of varnish check with them. When we were cleaning out Dave's shop, and had a monumental collection of stuff, the ReStore would not take most of it. Unopened cans I think they will but not used stock. But I could be wrong...
Jay

Thanks Jay...most of my paint and finishing material are in short supply. Canton has a Hazardous Waste day a couple of times per year and I did a heavy purge of paint a few years ago when I discovered some old cans rusted and leaking. The stuff on hand is in small quantities, but I should check the quality.

My thought after reading the posts is to keep a few of each tiles used in the house...consolidate it to one shelf rather than the 8 individual it takes up now...and drop off the rest to HfH?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:03 am 
Obsessed

jbiddle wrote:
Jay Houghton wrote:
Jay

Thanks Jay...most of my paint and finishing material are in short supply. Canton has a Hazardous Waste day a couple of times per year and I did a heavy purge of paint a few years ago when I discovered some old cans rusted and leaking. The stuff on hand is in small quantities, but I should check the quality.

My thought after reading the posts is to keep a few of each tiles used in the house...consolidate it to one shelf rather than the 8 individual it takes up now...and drop off the rest to HfH?

That is exactly what I have been doing for the last few weeks. The house and garage are almost empty. Now to work on the pole barn as the house goes on the market next week and retirement out of the country is a few weeks away. :s_biggrin