Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:57 pm 
Master

Hello
My wife deleted in error pictures from our recent vacation on her phone.
She has a Galaxy note 4.

From what I've read on line I might be able to recover the deleted pictures if I "root" the phone.
I have already tried the software that doesn't require the "root" step.
It warns if not done properly I could "brick" the phone.

Has anyone "rooted" their android phone?
Thanks
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:05 pm 
Elite

Go to google and enter "recover deleted pictures android"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 pm 
Master

did that and tried everything except unlocking (rooting) the phone. pictures are not on the SD card.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 pm 
Elite

On my Samsung Note 3, I installed an camera app that seems to load the pictures from that app on phone memory instead of the sim card.
Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:42 am 
Master

The solution to your problem might be simpler -- most users on an Android device have a Google account, and when they take pictures on their phone's camera, the photos are automatically backed up to Google Photos. Even if the photos were deleted in the Google Photos app, you may find all the photos are in the Trash folder. I believe this folder empties pictures older than 60 days, or if you accidentally emptied the Trash folder manually you're SOL.

To check, look at your apps and see if you have the "Photos" app with the yellow, red, blue, and green icon that looks like an origami-inspired star of some sort. Open it, pull the menu in from the left, and choose Trash.

Beyond this, possibly solutions that involve rooting the device mean a few things.

First, they mean risk that you could brick the phone. In many cases, especially for highly popular phones that have been on the market a while, there is very little risk, because there has been a lot of third-party development and work to make rooting and modifying the system easy and safe. But there is always an increased risk.

Second, it will void your warranty. Which especially sucks since there's at least a marginally increased chance of this bricking the phone. :) Don't do this unless you have an old phone you're happy to use, or are willing to go out and replace it at full price.

Third, they will most likely require some computer geek knowledge. Even if you've never done this type of stuff with Android before, you really at least need to start from a place of having comfort with navigating buried, technical menus that assume the user has a more detailed level of technical knowledge. For example, if you've had to use the Windows/DOS command prompt over the years and are comfortable getting around that way in a basic sense, then you've got a good start. If that concept is foreign to you, then you probably don't want to do this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:25 pm 
Elite

http://www.androiddata-recovery.com/blo ... s-contacts
This might help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:09 pm 
Master

I'm no geek, know just enough to be dangerous. So I'm not going to take the chance of Rooting the phone.
I've checked the trash bin and tried a 3rd party program no luck.

So lesson learned for my wife.

thanks for the input
Scott