Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:10 am 
Obsessed

I have a big crotch on my trailer that is only 68" long, but it is 48" wide. It is 38" diameter at the butt. I want to get it milled the flat way (showing the crotch grain figure) so I need a mill that can cut 48" wide. Preferrably a bandmill. But the common WoodMiser bandmills can only cut 25" wide.

I could trim off the widest corner to 45" or 40" if necessary.

I knew a mill that big, 50" capacity, but he is out of business, and he suggested another guy and I took it there yesterday but no-go. Since it's on my trailer now, I could take it anywhere, but I'm in the center of the Ludington-Manistee-Cadillac triangle now.

Last edited by Dial-up Dave on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:31 pm 
Master

Woodmizer has a website to help you find a saw mill.

https://woodmizer.com/us/Services/Find-a-Local-Sawyer
Though no one in michigan has the huge woodmizer.

Did a quick search and found a guy in Flat Rock who can do it with his chainsaw mill. Not sure if that is what you are looking for but it should work. It would also take a very long time.

http://logstolumberandbeyond.com/pictures

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:48 pm 

Nathan at Fether Hardwoods in Pittsford might do it. (517) 383-2200

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:07 pm 
Elite

Last time I spoke with him, John Haling had capacity to mill 48"+ widths.

734-741-9499

Providing reclaimed, vintage lumber. Various species available, including R. & W. Oak, White Pine, SYP, Beech, Heart Pine and more. Inventories change routinely, contact us today for your specific needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 am 
Lurker

Tervols have a saw that I believe can accommodate 5' wide, they also have a kiln to dry it.
Tervols wood products
North Adam's MI
517-287-5745

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:18 pm 
Obsessed

Problem Solved. I just dropped the piece at Arrow-Cut Specialties in Reed City (only 45 miles from my place) where they have a 72"-capacity bandmill. Also they were very familiar with the natural-edge milling that I prefer. He said I could pick up my wood in a few weeks. Also beautiful huge walnut slabs available there, green or KD, which I will post about under another heading.

To all, thanks for your suggestions. They may all be very good suggestions. Although, I (and another guy) had a very bad experience with Tervol regarding him kiln-drying my wood, and I would not do business with him again. And if he has a mill that can cut wider than 25", it's news to me. 25" was his limit the last I knew. I did business with him on custom milling for many years, and I introduced him to the club. But my and Joe's big 8/4 x 20" walnut "disappearing" out of his kiln, and his avoiding me after that, were deal-breakers to me forevermore. I don't usually bad-mouth him this publicly, and I am reluctant to do so. But since the suggestion was out there, I thought all should be forewarned. I admit I never had a problem with him on custom milling. Leaving high-value wood in his kiln: beware.