Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dahlias are growing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am 
Obsessed

By now most of my dahlias are 6--18" tall. Some are a little outside that range, either taller or shorter, but most are within. You should be beginning to tie them to the adjacent fence or the stake you put in when you planted them. Most of mine are tied; some of the tallest ones are tied twice.

If you don't have an adjacent support to tie them too, I don't know what to tell you as it could be problematic to drive in a big stake now. It could hit the roots under the ground and you don't really want that. You could try to put in a big stake, but carefully to avoid the buried tuber. Or, maybe, put in a tomato cage.

For next fall I am thinking of putting some of my tubers away for winter storage already planted in pots. Then in March I could get them out and put on the windowsill and have larger plants to take outside in May or June. That's how they do it with those already-flowering 2'-tall plants that are sold in May for big bucks. It would be nice to have a longer flowering season, which for me has always been mid-August-to-frost.

How do your dahlias grow ??