Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:38 am 
Obsessed

Anybody making plans for the Aug 21 total solar eclipse? I'm thinking of driving down to southern Illinois or Missouri. I understand the 70-mile-wide path of totality crosses the country from Oregon to Carolina.

Anybody have ideas for protective eyewear? I recall a (partial?) solar eclipse visible in Michigan (in theA early 1980s?) when we were recommended to look through welding-helmet lenses with a rating of "10". As it got closer to the event, these were sold out. Then it was discussed, could you use two "#5" welding-helmet lenses, stacked? At the time I was working in the printing industry, where we had large sheets of photographic film. Some people looked at the eclipse through sheets of photo film, I think exposed-but-unprocessed (undeveloped) film. Was this safe? (I never heard of any ill-effects.)

Is there a viewing device that can be made? I've seen photos of dappled sunlight forming many "pinhole projectors" where you could see many images of the partial eclipse projected on the sidewalk. Of course, the total eclipse is a partial eclipse in the early and late phases, before and after the brief (2-minute?) totality.

Who has info, knowledge or info about viewing the solar eclipse??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 pm 
Obsessed

Marcy & I have our reservations made to go to Mammoth Caves on the 20th. If the weather is good on the 21st, we'll drive about 1 1/2 hours south to get in the path of totality, otherwise we'll just head back home.

Marcy has never been to Mammoth Caves, and she's never seen a total solar eclipse. I trekked across the country to Minot North Dakota in February to see the last one - must have been around '76 or '77. Got REAL lucky on the weather on THAT one. A local said that the day of the eclipse was the first time they'd seen the sun since Christmas!! :)

As to viewing, there really isn't much to see until the "diamond ring" which is a very fleeting event just prior to and just following totality. A pinhole camera will do fine if you make it from a LARGE cardboard box that you can stick your head into so that you exclude the ambient light, and have the pinhole (a needle hole in a small square of aluminum foil works well) project onto a piece of white printer paper. To watch the "diamond ring" effect, welding glasses are a good option, but I don't know off-hand what grade you should use. I've been relying on this site for my info.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:32 pm 
Obsessed

Dave - I just found this too...

ISO certified eclipse sunglasses http://a.co/aZiI1rn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 pm 
Obsessed

I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska right now and everyone here is pretty excited about it. I guess they should have pretty ideal conditions for viewing. Lord knows there not much to block your view LOL. Long, but easy drive out I80 or a not too terribly expensive flight to Omaha. And you can visit Surplus Center!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:06 am 
Elite

When I was an apprentice, I would often wear 2 torch goggles nested inside another (2x5=10) to watch the welder I was pimping for. Worked as expected. I eventually learned how to weld.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 pm 

Check solar eclipse glasses on Amazon. Kind of pricey for a few minutes, unless it's cloudy. I bought a 5 pair package for about 25 bucks. Might be a good idea to not wait too long because they're going like hotcakes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:47 am 
Obsessed

Tom from Clayton wrote:
Check solar eclipse glasses on Amazon. Kind of pricey for a few minutes, unless it's cloudy. I bought a 5 pair package for about 25 bucks. Might be a good idea to not wait too long because they're going like hotcakes.

The glasses I linked to above are about $10 for a pack of three. Seem to be plenty good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:12 pm 
Journeyman

Steve Sawyer wrote:
The glasses I linked to above are about $10 for a pack of three. Seem to be plenty good enough.

that link doesn't go to anything on Amazon anymore...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 pm 
Obsessed

Thad Greiner wrote:
Steve Sawyer wrote:

that link doesn't go to anything on Amazon anymore...

Yeah - I just got an email from Amazon saying that the vendor has not replied to their inquiries as to certification, so they've removed them. I used them as soon as I got them to go out and view the sun, and they certainly seem to be as opaque as any welding goggles I've used, so I hope there is no danger in using them briefly, as there is nothing (reasonable price and small quantity) that is available on Amazon that they can ship prior to the eclipse. You don't need them to view the totality, so the best part of the show will be naked-eye viewable. I might pop out one of these lenses to put in front of my camera lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 am 
Obsessed

If you are planning to travel to somewhere within the path of totality, make sure you are well prepared. Could be an overreaction, but I have family that lives in a rural area west of St. Louis and they are predicting massive traffic jams there. The preparation suggestions sound like they are predicting a blizzard. Schools are closing, they are warning people to travel with food and water, stock up on food and medicine in advance, etc. Also saying cell phone networks could become overloaded and emergency response times will be unpredictable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:42 am 
Obsessed

Matt Meiser wrote:
If you are planning to travel to somewhere within the path of totality, make sure you are well prepared. Could be an overreaction, but I have family that lives in a rural area west of St. Louis and they are predicting massive traffic jams there. The preparation suggestions sound like they are predicting a blizzard. Schools are closing, they are warning people to travel with food and water, stock up on food and medicine in advance, etc. Also saying cell phone networks could become overloaded and emergency response times will be unpredictable.

That all sounds kinda surprising. No-one needs to be in any particular special spot to see the eclipse - any WalMart or high school parking lot where you can see the sky is all you need. So, traffic jams going...where?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:17 pm 
Obsessed

I would assume just flooding the relatively narrow band of largely rural areas where there will be a total eclipse. This area is a lot of 2 and 4 lane state highways well off the interstate.

To give you an idea of how rural, their Walmart Supercenter is a pole barn type building with a single entrance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 pm 
Obsessed

My thought is I am not flying anywhere to see a total eclipse for 2 minutes. A partial eclipse is just fine for me. The whole area here will most likely look weird anyhow. I'm either too cheep or not geeky enough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 am 
Obsessed

Jim Young wrote:
My thought is I am not flying anywhere to see a total eclipse for 2 minutes. A partial eclipse is just fine for me. The whole area here will most likely look weird anyhow. I'm either too cheep or not geeky enough.

Ah!! I can tell you've never seen one, otherwise you wouldn't be so sanguine about missing it! :mrgreen:

This one's a no-brainer. The last one I saw I had to drive 1200 miles to see, with no guarantee that the sun would even be visible in February in North Dakota. This one is an easy one-day drive, with plenty of other things to see and do if it turns out to be overcast (but right now it's looking good :good: )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:54 pm 
Obsessed

I bought the Amazon glasses. Then they sent me an e-mail that there is no documentation of the certification, so they say they are refunding my $s. I opened the package, it is 4 pairs of glasses rather than the promised 3. Haven't tried them yet. An article in the Aug 10th DFP (freep.com) says to get properly-certified glasses at Walmart, Krogers, or Toys B We.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:58 pm 
Obsessed

Well, all the sky-is-falling predictions of gridlock turned out to be false for us. We left our hotel in Glasgow at 6:00 AM and arrived at Pennyrile Forest State Recreation area near Dawson Springs, just after 8:00 when they opened. There were only a couple of dozen cars in line at the gate, though the campground had been sold out for about a month. Beautiful site. They had food, t-shirts, ECLIPSE GLASSES and a really, really nice large beach and picnic area to enjoy waiting for totality. I meant to ask if they had to turn anyone away, as I was told that they would close the park when it reached capacity. All the parking lots were full, but it felt busy but not crowded at all. Because there was no cell service in the area, no-one was glued to their social media accounts with their phones, so there was a lot of interaction and socializing among all of the attendees.

Totality was spectacular as expected - watching that corona pop out of the glare as totality is finally achieved is always breath-taking. The last eclipse I saw had some huge prominences visible on the limb of the sun's disc which were not visible this time. We had 2:37 of totality.

We encountered the gridlock getting home. An 8-hour drive became 12 hours. Google maps routed us around much of the heavy traffic heading east through northern Kentucky (up though southern Indiana then across I-64 to Louisville), but we probably should have gone north through Indiana, as getting across the river between Covington and Cincinnati was a nightmare. Relatively smooth sailing (other than an accident and the all too frequent @!*#&#($*% orange barrel attacks!!!) after that, but the traffic was extraordinarily heavy for the wee hours on a weeknight.

The next one in 2024 will pass directly south of us, with Indianapolis, Cleveland and Buffalo all in the center of the path of totality. I'm getting ready already!!

Sorry for the crappy pic below - obviously doesn't do it justice, but best I could do with the little Nikon Coolpix I was using...

Attachment:
Pennyrile Park S.jpg
Pennyrile Park S.jpg [ 481.59 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

Attachment:
2017 Eclipse Totality s.jpg
2017 Eclipse Totality s.jpg [ 227.87 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 am 
Elite

Steve. I drove down to Illinois and would do it again. My homemade filter for my Nikon coolpix camera failed miserably(reflected images). Did you purchase yours?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm 
Obsessed

JCoumoundouros wrote:
Steve. I drove down to Illinois and would do it again. My homemade filter for my Nikon coolpix camera failed miserably(reflected images). Did you purchase yours?

No filter for that shot. I used a lens out of the "don't use these" eclipse glasses I got from Amazon secured with some masking tape to get the camera lined up before totality, but took it off as soon as totality began. They were plenty dark enough for the camera, I just wouldn't trust them on my eyes. The eclipse glasses the park was selling (two pair with a nice little eclipse booklet for about $10) worked fine for pre-totality viewing by eye.

I too used a Coolpix, and the trick is to under-expose by about two stops (which isn't quite enough at that) to bring out some of the detail in the corona. Otherwise, the corona is completely overexposed and just a smear of white light. You can see that it was still over-exposed right next to the moons limb, not getting any detail until you get out a ways from the moon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:53 pm 
Obsessed

These are some examples of what the eclipse did to camera gear not equipped with solar filters. Your Coolpix probably doesn't magnify the image enough to do that kind of damage but the need for solar filters wasn't just about vision damage.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/0 ... e-of-2017/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:50 am 
Obsessed

Matt Meiser wrote:
These are some examples of what the eclipse did to camera gear not equipped with solar filters. Your Coolpix probably doesn't magnify the image enough to do that kind of damage but the need for solar filters wasn't just about vision damage.

I wasn't taking any chances - never pointed the camera at the sun pre-totality without the filter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm 
Elite

Steve Sawyer wrote:
I used a lens out of the "don't use these" eclipse glasses I got from Amazon secured with some masking tape to get the camera lined up before totality,
Well I guess I'm not the only one to use some tape & re-configuring. :s_cool

I didn't make the drive down to Southern IN. But I was curious as to what I could see from here. Figured I would just use my welding helmet, But then the morning of the eclipse I found out that the "Auto Sensing" helmets would not work. :shok:

A quick google search showed how to use an old TV remote to trick the sensor!
It turns out that the infrared light signal from the remote will trick the sensor & darken the lens as long as you held down one of the remotes buttons.

A little bit of good old duck-tape & a old TV remote & voila, A hacked auto sensing welding helmet.
Attachment:
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3211.JPG [ 128.26 KiB | Viewed 137 times ]

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:47 pm 
Elite

We viewed the eclipse with my son Boy Scout troop he got a solar eclipse badge.

Attachments:
IMG_6047.jpg
IMG_6047.jpg [ 105.16 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:39 pm 
Obsessed

Doug Walls wrote:
A hacked auto sensing welding helmet.

That is hilarious! But it worked!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:26 am 
Obsessed

I went to Adams, Nebraska, since I was already in Omaha visiting family and some acquaintances were going there. It was cloudy and we didn't see much; no special glasses were required. Maybe we'd have had a better view if we'd headed toward Independence MO, which would have been the same distance by the route we drove. But it wasn't really my trip, so I just went along with what the group (that I didn't know very well) had planned.

Adams, a very small town, had gone all-out, with custom t-shirts and wineglasses printed up. There were indeed traffic jams on 2-lane roads (coming from population centers like Lincoln and Omaha). And I am looking fwd to the next one.

We did see the darkness, and felt the temperature drop, and saw the 360-degree sunset effect, but in the sky we saw mostly clouds. Also I got some info about a sawmill there. (Not that I need more wood, nor to bring it home from 700 miles away....)

Haven't got my refund about the apparently-falsely-certified glasses I bought from Amazon yet. But no regrets about going.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:57 pm 
Elite

Eclipse video

https://vimeo.com/230544863?ref=em-v-share

Providing reclaimed, vintage lumber. Various species available, including R. & W. Oak, White Pine, SYP, Beech, Heart Pine and more. Inventories change routinely, contact us today for your specific needs.