Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:24 pm 
Obsessed

Was just thinking about the "good old days" and looking through old names I see a lot of others who are no longer active besides me are still checking in. I'm curious what everyone is up to?

I'll go first...still work for the same company, working out of my house still. Just had my 10th anniversary there and still love working for them. About a year after we moved to Monroe (which was almost 3 years ago now) I hadn't used any of the limited woodworking equipment I kept and sold it off as part of a larger purge of stuff we moved and hadn't used. There weren't really even many projects to do around the house since we had gone through the whole house when we moved in. Doing a little more volunteering--helped with the auction at my daughter's Catholic elementary school for the three years she was there as well as a couple smaller things. Took it easy for this year in that regard but just got asked to serve on the high school's board of directors for the next 3 (a position way out of my social class :rofl: .) I took up running to lose weight, lost 80lbs, and am now training for the Free Press Marathon in October and am on pace to run about 1800 miles this year. I get bored without having the shop to go dink around in or the huge property to take care of so I've been trying to get into a few other hobbies. I got back to doing some photography, something I hadn't done since college, and I need to do more to get more practice. Doing more cooking, especially like doing BBQ and just tried my hand at home brewing for the first time today. The family is doing good. That little girl I used to bring around just finished a very successful freshman year of high school and will probably get her learner's permit on Tuesday. Just bought a car for her to drive (my car, she gets to use it :s_wink) so maintaining that gives me something to work on. Wife recently switched jobs after her employer got bought out so she could stay local.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:47 pm 
Elite

Matt,

Thanks for the tip on your daughter getting her learners permit, I'll try to stay off of the streets of Monroe. I am staying busy doing the same sort of stuff I have for the last few years. I've been building Windsor chairs since we made the first one back in 2006 with the Galoot group at SEMIWW. I have probably averaged 6 or 7 a year since then. I also make other small household items, but have to admit, as I get older the allure of all handtool use is not as strong as it once was.

The most exciting thing I've been doing the last year is planning a new shop. I submitted plans to the city last week for a 30' X 40' barn to use as a shop. The basic structure will be timber framed with truss rafters. The plan is to have power tools on the ground floor and handtools upstairs. I'm having the structure erected and will be finishing off the inside myself. It should keep me out of trouble for awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:38 pm 
Obsessed

Oh neat. So did you buy the corner lot where that old store burned down? I noticed the for sale sign is gone a while back. If you ever need help, shoot me a message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Like Matt, I purged quite a bit of stuff. I did keep my hand tools, router table and band saw which I do use on occasion.

Bought an RV. It pretty much consumed my life for about 6 months while I made mods and read manuals. We have taken a number of weekend trips to rowing regattas (kids) and to Florida over Spring Break.

We're head out West for three weeks this July. Planning on years of traveling around the country. Maybe even an Alaska trip. I keep a blog about the RV and travels at http://waywards.org

Been wood smoking ribs, pork, fish, cheese, and brisket for a number of years. The old side-barrel smoker gave up the ghost last year so I splurged on a pellet smoker. Did a ton a research and found most were not very good (including Traeger which gets unwarranted good press IMO). Bought a RecTec grill. It's simply awesome and takes all the work out of smoking stuff. http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-min ... ll-rt-300/

Kids graduate next year. Looks like they're both headed to Ferris University. Still working as a coding wonk at a small software company and smoking too many cigars for my own good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 am 
Obsessed

mike, sounds like a nice balance.

the wife and i are thinking seriously about getting an RV. would love to tap your brain, i'm a total newbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

zaret wrote:
mike, sounds like a nice balance.

the wife and i are thinking seriously about getting an RV. would love to tap your brain, i'm a total newbie.

Let's plan an evening sometime. I keep the RV at the house so you can tour it.

(this offer is open to everyone by the way...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:58 pm 
Obsessed

How about the smoker? :s_biggrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Of course. I'm doing a 13 LBS brisket Thursday. But any other time works. Demoing how it works is as easy a plugging it in and I always have some brats in the freezer that need smoking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:29 pm 
Obsessed

Matt Meiser wrote:
Was just thinking about the "good old days" and looking through old names I see a lot of others who are no longer active besides me are still checking in. I'm curious what everyone is up to?

I'm still in Australia and am about 2 years thru a 3 year assignment, so I should be back in about a year.

Have done practically zero woodworking here in Oz but I'm very much looking forward to making some sawdust again when I return to the US.

I'm absolutely thrilled that the Club seems to be going strong and that the new location is working well.