Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cutting tile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:02 pm 
Obsessed

I'll be putting up a ceramic tile backsplash (about 30 sq-ft) in my kitchen in a few weeks. I'd rather not have to make a huge investment in special-purpose tools to do the job. Making straight cuts using a glass cutter or other scriber and the appropriate tool to snap the tiles (which I have) isn't a problem - it's the dozen right-angle notches I need to do around the window and the outlets..

In lieu of a wet tile saw, has anyone used a Rotozip for this? They have both straight bits and a diamond-wheel attachment that appear to be able to do the job. I would get some use out of that after the tile job, so not as painful a purchase.

Any other suggestions/ideas are welcomed.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Cutting tile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:57 pm 
Elite

I have a small wet tile saw you are welcome to borrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:09 pm 
Obsessed

Ken's offer is the way to go but there's a disc for an angle grinder too I had to cut an AC vent into the middle of a tile at my old house and did it with one pretty easily.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 pm 
Elite

I bought a pretty cheap 41/2" diamond blade from Harbor Freight for my Makita grinder and used it for the kind of thing you are wanting to do. they have bunch under $20.00 if you have a grinder already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:51 pm 
Obsessed

Ken/Matt - thanks!

I do have an angle grinder, and I only have four outlet boxes I have to cut around, so that might be the way to go. Thanks for the tip about the HF wheel, Ken!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 pm 
Elite

I just saw this:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tld/6160273400.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:42 pm 
Obsessed

Thanks, Bob!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:28 pm 
Obsessed

To close the loop here - the diamond blade on the angle grinder worked really well. A tile nipper also comes in handy for some operations, but you can probably do the entire job just with the angle grinder. You do need to do this outdoors, or be prepared to get tile dust all over the garage. I would also recommend investing in a REALLY GOOD glass cutter and a pair of pliers that are used for snapping the scored glass. Anyplace that sells stained-glass supplies will have both. Anything that needs a simple straight cut, the glass cutter and cutting pliers will cut a perfectly straight line. You will need one of the stones they sell for smoothing the edges.

If anyone is going to do tile work though, I recommend using the tile that has the lugs that automatically space the tiles. That's what I used, and I can see that if you have to put in the spacers to keep the tiles aligned that this would have gone MUCH slower. As it was, it wasn't any more difficult than I'd expected. You do have to work fast as the mastic sets up pretty quick. One day the humidity was ridiculous, and it was much less stressful. Worse comes to worst, it's easy to scrape off the mastic, and re-apply if you have to.

Attachment:
Tile Job 1s.jpg
Tile Job 1s.jpg [ 341.23 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]

Attachment:
Tile Job 2s.jpg
Tile Job 2s.jpg [ 314.15 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:01 pm 
Elite

Nice work, Steve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:07 pm 
Obsessed

steve that looks great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:30 am 
Master

Steve,

The finished product looks nice. We'll keep you mind when we're looking for a tile contractor to do our next bathroom. You do full showers right :rofl:

PM me if you need matching wall plates, I have white plates to match the device line up you have. White toggle, white toggle, white GFCI.

Eric

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:37 pm 
Obsessed

Eric Buszka wrote:
PM me if you need matching wall plates, I have white plates to match the device line up you have. White toggle, white toggle, white GFCI.

Thanks Eric, but the local True Value had three of the four plates I needed in a light almond color that almost exactly matches the beige tile color (described as "biscuit" by Daltile). Unfortunately they didn't have the three-ganger I needed for the box you see in the second pic above, but found it (from the same manufacturer) on Amazon and it's arriving today.