Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:13 pm 
Elite

Last year I got real frustrated with the humidity during July and August in my attached 2 car garage shop. I got a Sharp 9,000 BTU Mini-Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump System for the shop, but it arrived too late in the year to install. It is still in the box. My shop / garage already has gas radiant heat so the heat part isn't essential to me and now I am changing course to use a straight portable AC unit. This is sized for a 450 square foot room. Installation requires 220v and Freon expertise or a professional installer. My city requires the heat pump be at rear of house, which would have been 30 feet from the indoor unit in my case.

https://www.amazon.com/SHARP-Ductless-I ... onditioner

https://www.comfortup.com/sharp-ae-x09p ... t-208-230v
https://www.comfortup.com/sharp-ay-xpc0 ... t-208-230v
https://resource.comfortup.com/is/conte ... c1?fmt=pdf
The unit came from ComfortUp and their site has all them manuals and detail info. The price at this link is only for the condenser portion.

I'm asking $700. Box with inverter was opened just to make sure a dent in box didn't harm anything in transport. The outside heat pump box has not been opened. Warranty has not been registered.

Can deliver to regional area. The outdoor unit is 85 lbs bulky (will require couple sets of hands) and indoor unit is 25 lbs. It came on a lift gate truck with pallet jack.

Steve.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:26 pm 
Master

Steve

What poratable ac unit did u go with? I am in a 400sqft attached garage and need to keep the temp and humidity more stable / workable this summer. Haven't decided window unit or portable.

Thanks
Alan

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:06 pm 
Elite

My 2.5 car garage is attached on the street side of the house. So a window unit would look tacky or face the neighbors house where they gather outside a lot. If I did that, I have a larger window unit my daughter used a couple years back.

I haven't got a portable yet, but there are a few on Amazon (Prime) at the 8,000 BTU level for $300 in brands that I have heard of. Reading reviews and questions on Amazon, one of their drawbacks is needing a vent for the exhaust hose. So, they are portable(?) with a necessary hose for exhaust.

Both of those downsides were what got me to the heat pump system last year. There were about 20 days in July and August that it was too dumb to work in the garage even with the door open and fans, constantly perspiring on the wood. Memo to self - don't order an AC unit in the hottest season and expect it to be in stock.

First step is to see if I can sell the heat pump, I'm never going to use the heat side of it. Maybe it will be my answer.

Steve.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:03 pm 
Master

Okay thanks for the info. From your message I had thought that you had purchase the "portable" AC unit already.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:59 am 
Master

SteveStram wrote:
My 2.5 car garage is attached on the street side of the house. So a window unit would look tacky or face the neighbors house where they gather outside a lot. If I did that, I have a larger window unit my daughter used a couple years back.

I haven't got a portable yet, but there are a few on Amazon (Prime) at the 8,000 BTU level for $300 in brands that I have heard of. Reading reviews and questions on Amazon, one of their drawbacks is needing a vent for the exhaust hose. So, they are portable(?) with a necessary hose for exhaust.

Both of those downsides were what got me to the heat pump system last year. There were about 20 days in July and August that it was too dumb to work in the garage even with the door open and fans, constantly perspiring on the wood. Memo to self - don't order an AC unit in the hottest season and expect it to be in stock.

First step is to see if I can sell the heat pump, I'm never going to use the heat side of it. Maybe it will be my answer.

Steve.

Steve, apologies, I'm not a buyer for your AC/heat pump setup, but I might have what you're looking to replace it with. I own one of these portable AC units. It was purchased in 2011, got one full summer of use before we bought our current house, which has central air and is heavily shaded by two silver maples. :) The last 5+ years it has been lightly used by my parents to help keep their bedroom cooler at night (south-facing bedroom windows with no shade). But they actually also have a smaller window unit that also belongs to me that I can ask them to switch to... :)

I cannot remember the specs of it off-hand. When we got it, we got it to cool the living and dining area of our flat at that time, which would've been roughly 400 sq. ft. It had no problems accommodating that, and it had to compete with being placed centrally in a hallway, so air circulation was poor compared to what I imagine you'd easily achieve in a more open garage workshop. If you have a floor drain in the garage, this can also be used as a dehumidifier with a hose hooked up to it, possibly helpful for the spring and fall days of comfortable temps but high humidity.

If you're curious, I'll be at my folks place on Monday and can take a few photos, and get the brand and model number so we can find the full specs. I can say confidently that if it matches the specs you need, I'm below the $300 range. I'm open to trades, especially for hand tools.

Alan, I suppose this offer applies to you as well, if interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:46 am 
Elite

jayed_coins wrote:
I own one of these portable AC units. It was purchased in 2011, got one full summer of use before we bought our current house, which has central air and is heavily shaded by two silver maples. :) The last 5+ years it has been lightly used by my parents to help keep their bedroom cooler at night (south-facing bedroom windows with no shade).
It had no problems accommodating that, and it had to compete with being placed centrally in a hallway, so air circulation was poor...

My experience with AC units; window units, central air, plus reading about the portables is that a lot of heat is created in the process and an outside release of the hot air is needed. Are your parents venting it out through a window?

Steve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:37 pm 
Master

Hi Steve,

Oh yeah, it needs to be vented through a window. And the window has to be a slider (horizontal or vertical is fine, unless it's hugely tall or wide like a picture window).

As far as being respectful of the neighbors view, the portables will look a lot nicer from their side of the fence than a window unit. The tubing just hooks into a sliding plastic panel that sits in the window. Looks a lot like some fittings you might use in a dust collection system. Since the unit doing the work is inside with you, you deal with the bulk of the noise instead of them.

To that point, they can be a bit loud. For a shop, I can't imagine it's a concern. You'll find a lot of reviewers online complain a lot about how loud they are, in my experience that was overblown (and I have trash hearing). I think they do a nice job on sound dampening with these portables, given the circumstance. I've had window units that were quieter, and ones that were cheap and louder, so, mileage varies there.

Another possible downside to consider is the footprint. It's another thing I can't imagine being a huge issue in a 2+ car garage shop, but if your shop's a bit cluttered or your floor space is already laid out to your ideal setup, this would throw a wrench in that. It's not huge. It's basically the size of a larger capacity basement dehumidifier. But that's still a piece of floor space, unlike a window unit.

Overall, I really liked this unit when we used it, I'm just trying to give you helpful pros and cons from my experience with it.

Even if you're not particularly interested in the unit that I've got, I'm happy to answer any questions based on my general experience with it, if it helps you shop around. For giggles I'll check it out on Monday and get the model and feature information just so I can help give you any further pointers based on that.

If you're still not sure what type of unit is ideal for your setup and you want to try a portable out to see if it'll work long-term, I'd take a $20 bill or something as a security deposit and you can give it a shot for a couple weeks. Even if you decide a portable is good but you need a higher/lower powered unit instead, that's fine. I'm in Plymouth and would probably need you to pick it up if you wanted to try it out.

(I just posted to ask about the June meeting, I don't see a post for it. Depending on that, perhaps I can attend it and bring it with me.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:08 pm 
Master

My folks are still using this unit, so it's not on the market. They said if I wanted cash for it they'd pay me. I said don't bother, letting them have the thing is the least I can do for them having raised me and all that good stuff. They'd have been happy to use the window unit in lieu, except for the fact that it isn't compatible with their bedroom windows which are very tall horizontal sliders. Sorry guys! Either way, if you have questions about my and their experience with the portable unit, let me know, happy to answer best as I can.