Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:34 am 
Journeyman

I'm feeling ambitious thanks to Peter Galbert's book.

I have a sycamore log I've previously mentioned here, and I want to start splitting it up. I've got a maul, small ax, and a wedge, and plenty of scrap firewood to hew some wooden wedges from to hold the split as it progresses. I know I need some more splitting wedges and a peavey or cant hook. Any recommendations on a good place to pick up some wedges, and any ideas on peavies/cant hooks?

The big boxes have Estwing splitting wedges for ~$19 a pop. Maybe I'm crazy but that seems pricey. I feel like if I'm patient, this is the type of thing to just find at garage sales throughout the summer, and I can probably end up with a few wedges at fifty cents a pop.

I'm in no hurry at this point, the log has already been waiting for about 8 months. Worst case, I'm going to have my silver maple trimmed sometime this season, so if nothing comes of this log, I'll just have the tree service tear it into a few smaller pieces and then take away the rest.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:49 am 
Elite

Nathan,

A couple of wedges would be handy but you probably have enough to split the log. You would need to makes some wooden wedges, though. A sledge hammer is the tool to use while driving the wedges, is that what you meant by a maul? ( I think of a maul as a splitting maul used for splitting firewood or a spike maul for driving railroad spikes). As I remember, the piece of sycamore wasn't that large so at this point you can probably get by without a peavey or cant hook. I like to split logs by standing them on end then scoring a line with your hatchet through the center of the log. Start your wedge in that line. Drive the wedge in to just before it is buried in the log, then drive a glut (wooden wedge) next to it to relieve the pressure on the wedge. Move the wedge along the scored line and drive it in again. Once you have the split started all the way across the end of the log you can lay the log down and split along the length of the log.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:50 pm 
Journeyman

Hi Jim,

As logs go, it's not huge, but it does taper from maybe 18" on the wide end to 12" diameter on the narrow end. It's about 5 1/2' long.

I have both a maul and a sledge.

So maybe I'll split out some gluts and dive into this thing with what I've got (dive in carefully and slowly, of course). :)