Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:36 pm 
Elite

I meant to post about these years back when I made them, but clearing out shop reminded me that I never did. Yet another idea for shop made blast gates.

Attachment:
bg1.jpg
bg1.jpg [ 109.52 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]
Attachment:
bg2.jpg
bg2.jpg [ 72.89 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]
Attachment:
bg3.jpg
bg3.jpg [ 79.62 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]

Body:

1. I started by cutting a 6" PVC coupling in half. I did this on my 12" miter saw with a jig to hold it safely.
2. I cut PVC trim board (Azek is a common brand, available from the home centers) into body blanks -- two for each blast gate.
3. Using a fly cutter, I cut a hole to match the coupling OD in the body blanks.
4. Using PVC glue (sold by Azek also at the home centers), I glued the coupling halves into the blanks, one for each side.
5. I ripped thin pieces of Azek a hair over 3/16" to glue in as spacers between the body halves.
6. I assembled the halves using the spacers.

Gate: Just 3/16" hardboard cut to size and fly-cut for the 6" hole.

Ends: PVC cap material for the big 4'x8' sheets of PVC lattice at the home centers. They come in 8' lengths so one length of each color was all I needed for 6-8 gates. I chose different colors to be able to quickly tell open/close status. I slightly enlarged the slot of the caps at the table saw to fit over the 3/16" hardboard. A couple of drilled holes and screws attached them.

Tip: do your PVC cutting and drilling all together so you only have to go through that cleanup once. It clings to everything, but a shop vac helped here.

What I'd do differently: I put the factory ends of the couplings toward the inside so that I'd have clean transitions at the gate. But this meant I had to file the cut side slightly to fit the PVC, since the couplings have a very slight taper to them. I'd probably keep the factory ends out if I were to do it again.