Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 am 
Obsessed

About a vintage Stanley block plane that I got at a bunch-of-tools sale: Not sure the model number, it has some similarities to my model 220 and some similarities to my "sweet heart" plane. Having these two, and at least one other, and I just recently sold a surplus plane, I don't really need this one either and it might be available.

All parts are present and functional. Body is 6-1/4" long and blade is 1-5/8" wide. It looks like some idiot took a hammer and hit it on the upper side, so one of the sides has two big cracks and is bulged-in. The cracks are in the upper side "cheek" and do not extend to the blade slot. The bed is sound. The broken piece is present and still attached by about 10% of the material that should be attaching it, in other words, a 90% break and as a doctor might say, a displaced fracture. Plane is still usable in this condition. I could take a vise or c-clamp (or maybe another hammer) and try to get this piece back into position. Or this might cause it to break-off completely. I could (after forcing it back into position) get the cracks brazed. But since I do not need another block plane (or another project) what I would really like to do is sell it to you. Works as-is, or you can repair it yourself, especially if you are adept at brazing (welding?) cast iron.

So, what do you think I should do? Use it as-is, or try to repair it? Or who wants it for $10 ? Your advice or offers are welcome.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:19 pm 
Elite

If the plane has a wooden knob I'd be interested in a trade maybe. My favorite go to is a 220 but the knob is gone.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:34 pm 
Obsessed

Sorry, Ken, this one has a brass front knob. But it also has an adjustable mouth with a cam under the knob that works real sweet. Maybe I shouldn't sell it so cheap.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 am 
Lurker

Do you have pictures?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:55 pm 
Obsessed

When I learn to post digital photos here, the earth will shake. But I can bring it to the May meeting.....

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:01 pm 
Elite

Dave, If you are on Facebook look these guys up. Incredible knowledge of planes, parts and pricing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1410047 ... 8/?fref=nf

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:59 am 
Elite

John,

Good suggestion on the fb plane page. I tooled around on there this morning. It's like an owwm group but specifically just for planes and easier access.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:20 am 
Elite

Somewhere along the line I picked up a Keen Kutter K-78 that I decided to fix. I had no idea what I had until I checked with the group. They suggested where to get the parts too.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 am 
Obsessed

Cool. Does it work on dial-up ??

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:24 pm 
Elite

Not sure on that. Lot of graphics on facebook........

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:37 pm 
Obsessed

I looked it up on the site that Steve said, Patrick Leach Blood and Gore (there was some other name on it but I found it by google and the index on another page somehow) and it is a #9 1/2, post-1894, will all the bells and whistles. And that broken piece that I thought was 90% cracked is actually 99% cracked and wiggling like a loose tooth, so I will probably get it brazed and keep it. Thanks for your interests.