Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:39 pm 
Apprentice

I'm finally upgrading from a shop vac and dust deputy to a true 4" dust collector. I am looking at the portable harbor freight collector, but am not sure how much machine I need.

My main concerns are size (small and increasingly crowded shop) and air quality. It is not going to be permanently connected to anything, and will instead be switched to whatever machine I'm using. I'm probably going to add a Thein baffle or cyclone separator to the system somewhere down the line.

Should I go with the little 660 CFM harbor freight collector and upgrade the bag? Should I go with one of the more powerful ones on carts with filter bags on top and chip bags on the bottom? Should I go a different route entirely?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 am 
Master

the HF 2hp is on sale for 179.00 which is a good deal then you can get Wyn filter for the top.http://click.harborfreightemail.com/?qs=00b7889dbddc5ddbac327644ba922ac6626bee6c37be399249b853ebcccc3ea4433dccae8c76d35a81ebae70ab8e0b075ad6d83e9866e5aa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:04 am 
Master

I am at the same stage. I am thinking of going for the Rockler wall mounted one with the pleated filter.
I am thinking of buying this
http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-wall- ... -gift-card

then getting the gift card and buying this the following month.
http://www.rockler.com/rockler-dust-rig ... -collector

I am trying to decide if i will get rid of my shopvac then or just move it out of the shop space.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:54 pm 
Apprentice

I have the same dilemma about my shop vac. Might keep it around for the sander. I was at Woodcraft today and they suggested this https://www.woodcraft.com/products/lagu ... -collector

Looked really nice. 1 micron filter canister and a smaller footprint than most other dust collectors. Ends up being comparible in price (though lower power) than the HF unit with a filter upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 pm 
Elite

Jacob Bender wrote:
I am looking at the portable harbor freight collector, but am not sure how much machine I need.

No actual experience with this brand, But I have read good reviews on the Penn State DC3
It's sold as a portable unit, But I've seen several converted to a full cyclone style system.
From what I have read the DC3 is pretty quiet compared to a regular full size system.

I have a 2HP 3PH Cincinnati 200S that's rated at 1100-CFM & it's pretty loud!!
It's a two stage system that sits on-top of a 55gal drum.
Attachment:
Cincinnati 200S Dust Collector.jpg
Cincinnati 200S Dust Collector.jpg [ 177.2 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

I plan to convert it into a "Thien Baffle" style system & add a canister filter to the exhaust/outlet, Hopefully that will quiet it down a little.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:33 am 
Obsessed

You should buy my HF 2Hp which already has upgraded cloth filter bags top and bottom, for $125. Link: topic16085.html Free delivery (by me) to regular SEMI-WW meeting or anywhere near Ypsilanti.

I converted it to 6" and used it with a dedicated 6"-ported "drop box" on my 25" planer, but it is easily converted back to the two 4" ports or one 5" port set-up that it came with. You can have my 6" drop-box, too, if you want it, but it is crude and not that effective (it was an early experiment) and your idea of an eventual addition of a Thien baffle barrel is probably better.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:23 pm 
Obsessed

Coming in late to the party here, but let me say from my own experience that if you go with any of the solutions discussed thus far in this thread, and continue with this hobby, you are very likely to upgrade again at some point in the future.

I went through three different DC solutions before I ended up with a cyclone. Each time the air movement increased and the chip separation improved. I would strongly suggest that anyone looking to do an upgrade to try to make it the last by going to a cyclone system. You can do that on a budget, whether you fabricate your own cyclone separator or buy an inexpensive one, and yes space is an issue. However, I have extremely low ceilings in my basement shop (I can put my hand flat on the ceiling while standing flat on the floor - and I'm only 5'8"!!), and I was able to make a 3HP DC work, so where there's a will there's a way.

Obviously, the only difficult part is the cyclone separator itself, and you can get good ones in the $200-$300 range from this eBay store.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:20 pm 
Elite

I have a Delta I think it's around 600 cfm not to big but works great, my shop is small so the most hose I use is 12ft I get good suction. If your going to run long lines then you will need more cfm.
I made a separator for mine,you can fine plans on line. It's so much easier removing the chips for the separator can then from the bags. If your using a Jointer bags can fill up fast with a small collector.

FYI separators don't work to good with hand plans long shaving wrap around the insides like hairs and clog them up. Broom is best for hand plan shaving.

Attachments:
P1000509II.jpg
P1000509II.jpg [ 191.28 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]
P1000513II.jpg
P1000513II.jpg [ 73.51 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]
P1271921II.jpg
P1271921II.jpg [ 222.68 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]