Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mobile Base
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:01 am 
Master

I currently have my Delta Unisaw on a generic mobile base that is all bolted together. It works fine for me but I just got a router lift and installed it in the wing of the Unisaw. Now its not very stable and I feel like I could easily tip it over. I realize that I could build legs for it but my floor is so uneven that every time I move my saw I will spend a long time releveling my legs. I have thought of some ways to make it easier but then I remembered the Mobile Base threads from a long while back.http://semiww.org/post74086.html?hilit=mobile%20base#p74086 I am now thinking of building one of these to make everything easier in the future. Though I have some questions about the material used and the build of it.

For the material I know its all steel tubing but I wasnt sure what size the tubing and angle were in past builds. If anyone knows what size the tubes were and where they were bought in the past that would be great.

I am planning on trying to weld this up. I am not very good at welding so it will be a good learning process for me.

Post subject: Re: Mobile Base
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 am 
Elite

When you buy your metal try Wright Steel in Redford prices are great. Just pick up some 3/8 round solid they were .90 cheaper a foot then Homedepo

15740 Telegraph Rd, Redford Charter Twp, MI 48239
Phone: (313) 532-4210

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:59 pm 
Apprentice

If Ida is not too far look up Heck Steel. You would support local small business and he is very affordable.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:37 pm 
Obsessed

Jared - those bases were 1x2" 14ga steel tubing. The hard part is the angle iron that the wheels mount to. We bought a huge hunk of that at one of the big steel vendors, then one of the members cut 2" or 2 1/2" chunks off to form the wheel mounts. That is not something you can do yourself. The steel is about 1/4" thick and 4" x 6" IIRC (I'd need to measure one of mine to make sure) and you ain't doin' it with no hacksaw. A plasma cutter might do it, but not sure if the cut quality would be acceptable right off the torch. The member that cut it for us had a semi-automated steel-cutting band saw that he could set to cut and just walk away and come back later and set it for the next cut. It was an all-day operation, but we were building about a dozen bases all at once.

You may be able to get the angle cut for you at whatever vendor you use to source your steel. The ends of the tubing were capped with plastic plugs that we got from McMaster-Carr.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:56 pm 
Elite

I have about 50 of those plugs if you need them.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:23 am 
Master

Steve Sawyer wrote:
Jared - those bases were 1x2" 14ga steel tubing. The hard part is the angle iron that the wheels mount to. We bought a huge hunk of that at one of the big steel vendors, then one of the members cut 2" or 2 1/2" chunks off to form the wheel mounts. That is not something you can do yourself. The steel is about 1/4" thick and 4" x 6" IIRC (I'd need to measure one of mine to make sure) and you ain't doin' it with no hacksaw. A plasma cutter might do it, but not sure if the cut quality would be acceptable right off the torch. The member that cut it for us had a semi-automated steel-cutting band saw that he could set to cut and just walk away and come back later and set it for the next cut. It was an all-day operation, but we were building about a dozen bases all at once.

You may be able to get the angle cut for you at whatever vendor you use to source your steel. The ends of the tubing were capped with plastic plugs that we got from McMaster-Carr.

Steve,
That is exactly what I was looking for. I have access to TechShop in Allen Park currently through work. I can use the drop band saw or the cold saw there. I just need to figure out where to get the material so I can make one easily.

Jay,
I might be taking you up on that. I am trying to reorganize the area around my table saw since I have a small mobile base that doesn't go under the wing currently.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:57 pm 
Master

hey fellas here is a mobile base I made for my first saw when I started woodworking, I was in the same dilemma.
made with 2 x 3 angle and some flat stock.

Attachments:
outfeed table closed.JPG
outfeed table closed.JPG [ 88.65 KiB | Viewed 130 times ]
saw stand painted1 (Small).JPG
saw stand painted1 (Small).JPG [ 47.99 KiB | Viewed 130 times ]