Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:09 pm 
Apprentice

I've decided to preserve my fingers and upgrade my current table saw (also, there is going to be a Delta 36-725 in excellent condition up for sale soon if anyone is interested). The saw is expensive enough as it is, so I want to save on shipping costs if I can.

Woodcraft in Canton won't charge to ship it to the store and to load it for me, but then I have the dilemma of how to unload it and get it up my short but steep driveway. My thinking is rent a uhaul trailer with a ramp then rent a pallet jack to unload and move it, but I wondered if anyone had any tips or better ideas. The saw will weigh just over 400 pounds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:24 pm 
Elite

Just ask Jay!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 pm 
Journeyman

When I bought my Rigid 4511, it weighed in at 400+ due to the granite top. I backed my van up to the garage door and braced 3 2x4 into the back and just slid the crate down them right onto the garage floor. Worked like a charm. Of course, I DID NOT do this by myself... had 2 helpers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:44 am 
Master

I recommend a couple of friends along with the trailer and pallet jack. 400 pounds and 3 people should be pretty easy. I'd slide it down the ramp on the pallet and then put it on the jack once it's on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:08 am 
Master

I moved my Unisaw by using a few friends and long 2x4's under the table to lift. Then to get it down to the shop I took it apart and moved it that way. I also did that for my Bandsaw.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:09 am 
Apprentice

what about using a come along winch? Would it make sense to loop some chain around the pallet, hook some chain to the chain loops on my vehicles Class II tow hitch, and use the winch to pull it down the ramp? Or would I just end up damaging my trailer hitch?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:17 am 
Master

I dont think that would damage your hitch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:25 am 
Master

Jacob,

I did the same thing (had the saw shipped to Woodcraft and picked it up) and the saw comes in a couple boxes. The cast iron top pieces are in a separate box(s). The base is in its own box and it is heavy but two people can easily unload from the back of a pick up truck. The rail system is in another box and the mobile base (if you go that route) ships in yet another box. Add all those boxes up and you have a lot of weight but unload them individually and you have a more manageable situation.

Now keep in mind I bought my saw a couple years ago but I have not heard of them putting the saw together and shipping in one giant box.

Best of luck. I love my saw.

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:29 am 
Master

I've not done this with a table saw, but I recommend the Uhaul trailer with the higher sides. Had to move a fridge last summer and the day rental for the trailer was cheap, and it was perfect for the job. The ramp made life easy loading and unloading. And the fact it was an open top instead of something like a van made it way way easier to strap things in without much fuss.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 am 
Obsessed

I have a really HD come-along, which I mostly use to move logs, though I have used it for many other things. I also have a "compact" pallet jack, which, if I had bought it ten years ago, would have saved me the hundreds of $s that I have spent on casters. But if I was doing this task, I'd probably use pipe rollers. Three or four 4' long pipes of maybe 1-1/2" diameter are great for moving heavy things, as long as they are fairly flat on the bottom. Which, assuming the saw is on a pallet, it probably is. Just keep at least two rollers under the load at all times. And I'd be REAL cautious about using the rollers on the ramp. That could get away from you in a hurry. I'd be more inclined to slide the load down the ramp with levers, and only use the rollers where it is level.

PS: no one has missed your stealth gloat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:00 am 
Apprentice

Hey, I can't help being excited about it. I'm having trouble picturing how to slide it down the ramp with levers. How would I go about doing that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:01 pm 
Master

I just wanted to chime in here with an alternative approach.....

I dont know which model of sawstop you are going to get but say it is the 3HP 220v 36" model. Woodcraft sells that for 2900.
MI takes 6% which is 175 more.
Uhaul and pallet jack rental 100? maybe more.
Time, effort, risk of screwing it up somehow moving it down a ramp etc.....$$??$$

As an alternative you could buy it from an online retailer who does not charge tax and includes shipping with a lift gate.
Here is one place..

http://thisiswoodworking.com/sawstop/
If you put in the same 3hp 220v 36" model with shipping it comes to about 3150. Same cost if not cheaper than doing it all yourself.
Hopefully this helps.

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm 
Obsessed

My trailer bed is wood, Yours might be metal. Either way, get a prybar with a flat end if you can. If not, a round, square, or hex one will do. Get a few inches of the end of the bar under the trailing end of the pallet. That is the end toward the front of the trailer, opposite the ramp and the direction you want to go. Lift up on the bar, raising the back of the pallet, but also providing some forward thrust. It should slide forward (which is to say, in the desired direction, toward the back of the trailer) a little bit. Repeat, scooting it along an inch or two at a time. It might help to have some shims (like two wood 1x4s) under the pallet's back corners so that a 3/4" gap between pallet and trailer bed is maintained and you can slip the prybar tip in repeatedly.

If you had a single pipe roller under the leading end of the pallet, it would move real easily this way. But take care that it does not take off down the ramp and out of control, or topple over. That's why slowly scooting it along on the flat will be safer than using a roller at the top of a ramp.

Another way, if your trailer has open sides with open steel framing, you might be able to stand alongside the trailer with a long (5-6-8') lever and, using the sideframe struts as your fulcrum, lever the pallet toward the desired direction. You would have to alternate which side of the trailer you are working from. That lever could be a 2x4, for example.

Once it is on the ramps, you should be able to just muscle it along with gentle wiggles and shoves. Gravity will be on your side, going downhill. But if more force is necessary, the same leverage process should work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:01 pm 
Master

I think we might be overthinking this. The saw is only 400 pounds.
I just loaded an 800 pound radial arm saw into and out of my van with just one other person and nothing more than a furniture dolly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:38 am 
Apprentice

Thank you to everyone for the advice and tips. It was surprisingly light since they broke up the weight across 4 boxes. I ended up propping the trailers ramp up with part of a pallet, so that the edge of the ramp was elevated just above the height of a furniture dolly. We pushed it off the trailer onto a pair of dollies, then up into the garage. Now comes assembling it...

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:18 am 
Lurker

My experience moving heavy stuff:

We just bought an 8" jointer from a member here. It weighs around 420 lbs. It was on a mobile base but pushing it up or down a ramp with just me and my tiny wife was a bad idea. Machinery with cast iron tables are top heavy. It was important for us to strap the machinery down to the wheeled base (or a furniture dolly.) I bought a hand crank boat winch and bolted it to the front of my flat bed trailer and removed the crank. The wife ran the boat winch with a cordless drill pulling near the bottom of the stand. I made sure the jointer stayed on the ramps. It worked great!

We had to take it apart to get it in the basement. We spent hours trying to remove the tables until we realized they slide up and off and not down and off. :oops: