Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:12 pm 
Elite

I used Endurovar on my kitchen cabinets, now 3 years down the road there is a film on the cabinet doors above the range.
I'm not sure what to use to clean them, the usual damp cloth does nothing.
Rather than trying various chemical cleaners and solutions and risk destroying the finish, has anyone had success in similar circumstance?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 pm 
Apprentice

I've got the same setup, endurovar on my kitchen cabinets. I use a mild general purpose soap cleaner and a dish towel, but I wipe them down about once a month.

Endurovar seems to be pretty tough stuff, maybe try some simple green?

On a side note, I wish that stuff was a little cheaper, really great finish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:32 pm 
Elite

Thanks Scott, what kind of mild soap cleaner do you use?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:58 pm 
Apprentice

I dunno. It's yellow and I buy it in bulk at costco. It's just an all purpose disinfectant cleaner I use for my counter tops, toilets, trashcans, whatever.

The Endurovar is a cross-linked polyurethane which apparently means it's pretty tough stuff. I'd try some simple green with a soft cloth and work my way up from there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:30 pm 
Obsessed

Bob - that is most likely cooking oil that has cured. The area above a stove is vulnerable, as any frying or sauteing carries extremely fine droplets of cooking oil in the rising column of air. Tough as hell to remove, as it's similar to BLO or other varnishes.

Fortunately, urethanes are pretty tough. I have polyurethane (oil-based, not waterborne) on one of my workbenches, and it has been impervious to everything I've spilled on it so far.

Some kind of mild stripper, like the orange citrus stuff might do the trick, but test it in an inconspicuous place first. It should attack the film, but not attack the urethane (I've tried to strip urethaned cabinet doors, and it was very difficult. It came off one coat at a time, and needed some pretty heavy-duty stripper to work quickly).

HOWEVER, I'd really try some naptha first. I've been using naptha frequently in the last year since discovering it, and it is an EXTREMELY good cleaner, and not terribly hazardous (the MSDS indicates it's non-carcinogenic and the fumes in moderate concentrations like you'll get using it to clean something are not particularly noxious - it's basically lighter fluid). I keep a small squeeze-bottle of this stuff on my workbench and use it all the time.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:45 am 
Master

I don't cut grease often but when I do I reach for the dawn, its tough on anything grease plus its mild.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:27 am 
Obsessed

dominic42 wrote:
I don't cut grease often but when I do I reach for the dawn, its tough on anything grease plus its mild.

The trouble is, I don't think Bob's film is "grease" anymore. It's probably more like varnish.