Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:19 am 
Obsessed

Well over a year ago I picked up this really nice router table top and fence from a fellow member (thanks, Jacob!)

The top is solid phenolic, over 3/4" thick, and the fence is a really beefy chunk of aluminum. See the first two pics below. I'd love to identify the manufacturer of this top, so if you recognize it, please let me know.

My previous router extension was 3/4" MDF in a hardwood frame, and I was always a little uncomfortable supporting that only by the TS rails. The rear rail only extends out about 13", but it seemed to work ok, even with the Incra Clean-Sweep attachment I had on it. My previous attempts at making a good fence didn't turn out real well, hence my interest in this top and the fence that came with it.

I was very concerned at how heavy this table was, and wanted to find a better way to support it. The pics below tell the tale. Basically I got some 8020 from the scrap metal yard near me, and figured how to attach it to the outer lip of the cast-iron right-hand TS wing, allowing it to cantilever into the space. I used some 1 1/2" aluminum angle that fit nicely up inside the casting, and when bolted to the right spot on the 8020 beams, allowed the inner end of the beams to lever against the inner edge of the TS wing casting. A scrap of 3/4" ply on the inner ends of the 8020 beams is just to help keep them parallel.

For fastening the extension to the rails, some more 1 1/2" aluminum angle was used to put "flanges" on the edges of the phenolic slab.

Some 1" aluminum angle and some elevator bolts from the hardware store created supports for leveling. The idea was that once the new top was fully supported and leveled on the 8020 beams, I'd lock the flanges to the TS rails.

I still have to re-drill some mounting holes for the fence, as the center of the router plate is a bit farther from the edge than the original table.

The pics should be self-explanatory, but holler if anyone has any questions.

Attachment:
Router Extension 1s.jpg
Router Extension 1s.jpg [ 263 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 2s.jpg
Router Extension 2s.jpg [ 252.45 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 3s.jpg
Router Extension 3s.jpg [ 232.05 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 4s.jpg
Router Extension 4s.jpg [ 277.46 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 6s.jpg
Router Extension 6s.jpg [ 299.07 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 7s.jpg
Router Extension 7s.jpg [ 272.27 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 8s.jpg
Router Extension 8s.jpg [ 221.22 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 9s.jpg
Router Extension 9s.jpg [ 221.09 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 10s.jpg
Router Extension 10s.jpg [ 289.75 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 11s.jpg
Router Extension 11s.jpg [ 305.87 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Attachment:
Router Extension 12s.jpg
Router Extension 12s.jpg [ 308.45 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:51 am 
Master

Steve-

Great looking extension. Still trying to get a good plan to mount mine. Was about 30 min late to grab your old one!

Question for you....Why did you mount the extension with the t-track inboard (towards the TS blade)?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:46 pm 
Elite

Nice job mounting the router table top. It's a big heavy top. When I stop by you were trying to find a way to mount it without adding legs looks like it worked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:16 pm 
Obsessed

Alan Grudzinski wrote:
Question for you....Why did you mount the extension with the t-track inboard (towards the TS blade)?

That's the way it was designed, with the miter slot/t-track across the "front" of the router table top. There is a wide rabbet across that end of the phenolic sheet to accommodate that extrusion. I had to cut it down from the original 31" to the 29" it had to be to fit between the rails. It was too narrow to cut the other way. I would have had to add a couple of inches to the width to make it fit in that opening. Besides, my experience is that the miter slot (the miter slot and T-trac are one extrusion) should be oriented from front-to-back rather than side-to-side, as that's how I'm most comfortable using the miter gauge. Also, T-track is often mounted cross-wise as that is how some folks attach the fence. Oh, one more thing, you'll note that there is T-track along the top of the fence, so if I need to make some kind of jig that needs to be fastened down, I can do so on the fence.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

steve I think the question is the orientation of the router miter slot to the blade. First pic versus last pic. Going across the router bit from right to left facing the fence means you will be pushing from the back not the side of the TS. For instance, the way my extension is setup (left of the blade) is TS blade, cast table, router extension, fence face to the left, router, t-slot. Yours appears to be opposite facing with the slot on the inside edge. Make sense? What prompted the 180 degree shift?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:54 am 
Master

Dennis
That's correct. I was curious about the tslot orientation. thanks for the better description.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:49 am 
Obsessed

Now I'm really confused by the question!! :lol:

In the first pic, the new top is just laying on the left wing of the saw - it isn't installed, just showing it before installation, primarily to ask the question as to whether anyone recognizes the brand.

As installed, I'll be pushing the miter gauge from front-to-back in the same way I use the miter gauge on the saw itself, with the TS to my left, the extension and fence to my right. I can't install the extension on the left side because a) no rails unless I remove the CI wing and 2) it's a left-tilt, so the cabinet bulge for the motor would interfere with the router.

Does that help? I can shoot another pic with the fence in place if that'll help...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:09 pm 
Master

you have a early version of the CMT router table. very nice by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 pm 
Obsessed

Ah! CMT!

Thanks, Domenic.

By the way, here is a pic of the finished extension with the fence. Note the T-track that is part of the miter slot, and formed into the fence, both intended for hold-downs/featherboards. If this doesn't answer the questions, let me know.

Attachment:
Router Extension 13s.jpg
Router Extension 13s.jpg [ 331.1 KiB | Viewed 292 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:56 pm 
Master

Steve

With your router wing on the right side of your table saw you are not able to stand in front of the fence when routing.
Do you find that to be a problem?
The right side of my table saw will have to be up against a wall, and the access door for a Saw stop is on the left which means mounting a router wing to the left is a problem.

I have a Bench Dog router table but wanted to have a second router available since I have a second router/lift..
My other option would be to mount the second router/lift in an out feed table for the table saw,

Do you see an advantage to having a long router table with a long fence?

Thanks
Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:38 am 
Obsessed

SSTONER wrote:
With your router wing on the right side of your table saw you are not able to stand in front of the fence when routing.
Do you find that to be a problem?

Not at all, Scott. When I use a fence, I feed the stock past the cutter just as you would with a table saw. I have the option of adding hold-downs or feather boards for anything needing some extra control. Folks often stand to the side of a router table and push the stock past the cutter in exactly this way.