Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:06 pm 
Obsessed

Until today, I've never done much in the way of hand-shaping. Despite this, I always coveted those Auriou hand-struck rasps, but they cost around $100 each. Too rich for me.

However, I knew I was going to need something like that, and found these "Dragon" rasps at Stewart-MacDonald. I used one for about two hours today, and man, are they ever nice. I got the large, fine-toothed model, and it cuts like crazy, leaves a beautiful, smooth finish, and gives you excellent control.

Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:40 pm 
Elite

Thanks for the info Steve :s_cool

I have several small hand rasps & a couple of those little Stanley micro-planes that work good to rough out a shape in soft wood, But nothing of really good quality.

I also have a good assortment of metal-cutting hand files & rotary carbide burrs.
Their mainly for metal work, But they come in handy at times for woodworking also.

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:44 pm 
Obsessed

I uses files of all kinds on wood. Sometimes it's just the right tool for the job.

By the way, I just sent 21 files out to Boggs Tool to have them sharpened. Cost me a total of about $47 including shipping both ways. A few were "rejected" which means they can't be sharpened again, but they're all very, very sharp and work great. Everything from my big 12" mill file to a handful of needle files.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:53 pm 
Elite

Steve Sawyer wrote:
By the way, I just sent 21 files out to Boggs Tool to have them sharpened ... they're all very, very sharp and work great.

I sent some to Boggs couple years ago and was amazed how well they worked when they got back. Even the "rejects" are sharp (to me).

Steve.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:33 am 
Journeyman

This rocks, I have been wanting a rasp for a small bookshelf build I'm about to start that has curved handle holes on the sides. I too had read about it and it seemed like it was Auriou or bust in terms of quality. I always forget about StewMac, which is funny, because before I even knew woodworking was a thing I played guitar and bought some of their setup tools (which are great). I actually have a StewMac gift cert that probably has $20 or so left on it...

For general purpose hand work, which size and profile rasp do you guys recommend?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:39 pm 
Obsessed

jayed_coins wrote:
For general purpose hand work, which size and profile rasp do you guys recommend?

The large ones that StewMac sells are quite large - 1 5/8" wide at the back, and they're long. I think I'm going to invest in one of their double-radius rasps just to get something a bit smaller. I think that no matter which you buy, you'll probably wish you had the other one at times, so be prepared to eventually buy two of them.