Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ladder recommendation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:13 am 
Elite

I need to hang sheeting on 14' high ceilings. I am looking for a recommendation on a podium type ladder for the job, or anything else that would work. Currently I am aware that Keller and Werner make that style. There are also ridiculously priced Little Giant ladders which is just not going to happen. I thought of renting a scissor lift, but I am going to take my time so renting might be a little on the expensive side. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 am 
Master

a drywall lift is the ideal tool for this and 5 x 5 scaffolding to work off of, you can use the 30" baker scaffolding but its harder to climb up and down.
I bet the monthly rate for the two will be reasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 am 
Journeyman

I agree on the drywall lift - those things are so handy. I used a baker's scaffold to put plywood on my workshop ceiling - much preferred over just a ladder. I like that it is mobile (on casters) - I'm not sure I'd want a stationary scaffold.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:54 am 
Elite

Justin,

How much board do you have to hang? While we are all capable of hanging sheetrock this might be the time to have someone who does this on a daily basis come in and do the job.

d

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am 
Elite

I have a lot to hang at 14' high. The problem that I have run into is excess cash to "pay it done". I was half thinking to make my own mobile platform out of wood that I would just use as storage shelves after the ceiling is done. I was also thinking that maybe a lift of some sort off the side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 pm 
Elite

i fully understand the lack of excess cash! my suggestion would be to rent or buy (harbor freight) a drywall lift and either a baker scaffold or a 5x5 scaffold with wheels and planks. I know Chet's Rental in Brighton has the all of these for rent. They aren't too much $$.

The baker will be easier to move around, the 5x5 won't have to move as often. At the height you're working a drywall lift is darn near necessary.

Here's a link to a baker if you're not familiar with them: https://www.amazon.com/Metaltech-Multip ... B003XQYQVC

Good Luck!

d

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 pm 
Elite

I called Home Depot(Howell) earlier and they offer rental for $44.00/ day or $176.00/ week.
This included two sets of scaffolding, enough to get you 10'+, casters, braces and two platforms.

I also looked at A1 Rent-all(Howell). They also rent scaffolding and their website pricing is as follows:

Framework(1 set) $24/ week.
Casters: $20/ 3 days or $28/ week
Plank(1): $15/week
Total for one set/ week with two platforms: $87, tax included.

No disrespect to the previous post, I had already searched Chet's website earlier and under scaffolding, the search kept coming up empty, so I would suggest calling their store to find out pricing.

Good luck!

Providing reclaimed, vintage lumber. Various species available, including R. & W. Oak, White Pine, SYP, Beech, Heart Pine and more. Inventories change routinely, contact us today for your specific needs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:40 am 
Elite

I think the $87 is doable. It would be cheaper than building my own. Thanks for the suggestions.