Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:53 pm 
Master

My wife and I want to redo our master bath and we're looking for a tile installer. Anyone work with someone recently that they would recommend?

I would do it myself but the area is large and could be complicated thus out of my wheelhouse. We plan on taking out our existing fiberglass tub/shower and replacing it with a tiled walk in shower. We also plan on tearing out the existing tile floor and replacing that with tile more to our liking.

All input would be appreciated.

We live just west of Dexter.

Thanks,
Eric

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:32 pm 
Journeyman

My dad built houses as a career in the Lansing area and when I recently built my house (west side of Plymouth), I used several of the contractors that he used. I did the majority of the flat tile work in the house by myself, but like you - paid someone else to do our master bathroom. We did a walk-in tile shower, tile floor, tile at the sitting tub - and he (installer's name was Doug) did a fantastic job. We also had him install the floor heat (Warmly Yours) and it is well worth it.

We used the same company for carpet and tile, so I didn't specifically shop around for tile install pricing only... but that being said, he did a marvelous job.

Williams Carpet (sales contact is Jamie)
http://williamscarpetinc.com/
They are up near the Meridian Mall on Marsh Road in Okemos.

Thad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:29 pm 
Obsessed

PM me, I just had my bathroom done and the guy who did the tiling was great. Even cleaned up after himself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:44 pm 
Obsessed

I used Derek Hane for my front hallway and my sister-in-laws kitchen. He worked quite a bit with Dave Richardson, doing most of his larger tile jobs.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:04 pm 
Elite

I used Jason Heeg, out of Howell, for tile work in my girlfriend's AA condo.
Top notch and clean.

Jason Heeg
517-861-1205

If you need any glasswork, euro shower door, etc. I recommend calling Ross Pellegrino, Southeastern Shower Door & Mirror.
517-206-8387.

Providing reclaimed, vintage lumber. Various species available, including R. & W. Oak, White Pine, SYP, Beech, Heart Pine and more. Inventories change routinely, contact us today for your specific needs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:12 pm 
Elite

Everyone has his favorite! I've used Marty Beckett out of Chelsea on more than one job. When we get to the mud room and master bath renovation I'll be using him as well. (734) 433-1648

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 pm 
Master

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:01 pm 
Master

Once you decide, can you post who you used and what your thoughts about their work was?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:22 pm 
Master

I want to follow up on this thread since finishing touches are being applied as of this posting.

We ended up going with Luigi with Luigi G's Tile and Ceramic. 734-395-2400. I tried most of the recommendations mentioned above along with a few recommendations from friends and the common response I received was that they were pretty well booked. Luigi was the same way however he lives in Dexter so he was able to fit me in after hours or when other jobs nearby had schedule breaks.

For the record Luigi did a fantastic job and I would highly recommend him. He's on the high end of contractors but has been doing tile work for 40 plus years. Hard to believe he's 68 and still doing this. If you passed him on the street you might guess that he was in his early 50's.

I'll get pictures and post them as soon as we wrap up the painting portion.