Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:01 pm 
Journeyman

So this is my 1st season of using an outdoor woodburner - heats up hot water that is pumped into the house (I have a heat exchanger on the water heater and a heat exchanger in the furnace plenum) and a 2nd pump sends hot water to my workshop in the barn (heat exchanger with a fan there). This winter I've hardly used the barn heat as I'm working on insulating the woodworking shop before I start running the heater.

I have about 20 acres and most of it is woods, but I'm burning a LOT of wood. Plus, with weather ups and downs, and schedule conflicts... I just don't have every weekend to work my way around the woods trying to find dead trees (mostly ash, of course). So I've had to purchase a decent amount over the course of this winter, and I can't keep paying the higher price for processed and seasoned firewood (16" long, already split, etc.).

I'm wondering if anyone has any sources to buy from a forestry/tree service company that will deliver a semi-truck load of hardwood logs. I'd like to have it delivered this spring, and then I can cut and split, stack, etc over the early spring and let it dry out some over the summer. I think a semi truck load would be in the 10 to 15 FULL cord range. I think this winter, I'm probably on pace to burn 12 FULL cord or more.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:31 pm 
Elite

Here is the name and number to the supplier a close friend of mine has used for many years.

Cameron
989-426-3439

Did a quick Google search and found this website with additional suppliers.Cameron's number is also included within this list.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/t ... an.180607/

Providing reclaimed, vintage lumber. Various species available, including R. & W. Oak, White Pine, SYP, Beech, Heart Pine and more. Inventories change routinely, contact us today for your specific needs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:46 pm 
Journeyman

Thanks Mike, I think I did glance at that page when I was googling around at lunch this afternoon.
Always nice to get a personal reference, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:53 pm 
Obsessed

There is a place near Reed City that I will drive by tomorrow and get their phone number for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 pm 
Journeyman

Thanks Dave!