Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:23 pm 
Elite

Have a Powermatic 1140A drill press with a broken feed return spring. They don't carry the part anymore, the spring case size inside is 2 1/4 across the spring is 1/4 thick. I have checked on line but can't fine the same size spring most are a little smaller or larger.
Do I measure the outside of the return spring case or inside? Outside would give me about 2 1/2
Can I use a smaller size spring? Just increase the tension when I put it back together?
Thanks, Jacob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:13 pm 
Elite

I would presume to get an undersize spring and then wind it up! I had one of those apart on time....never again! But I still don't know why you need 5 feet of spring steel for a quill that moves about 4" max.

You might try OWWM for one, people are parting out tools all the time.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:15 pm 
Elite

Jacob Nothstine wrote:
Have a Powermatic 1140A drill press with a broken feed return spring
Did the spring itself break or was it the mechanism?
A lot of times those springs will break close to the tight bends near the shaft or cap ends.

If that's the case you can probably heat it up with your forge & re-form the end! I've done that a couple of times with just a propane torch & it worked ok.

Jacob Nothstine wrote:
They don't carry the part anymore, the spring case size inside is 2 1/4 across the spring is 1/4 thick.
Not sure about Powermatic parts, But I have found that some parts from Grizzly & Jet can be used on some Delta machines. Naturally the part numbers will be different, But I've found out that with a little creativity the metric Japanese parts can be re-worked to fit the older Delta machines.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:08 pm 
Elite

It broke in middle and end, tried mig welding it but had no luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:27 am 
Elite

Jacob, this type of spring is known as a Constant-force spring. It is made from the same type of steel as band saw blades, spring steel.
You may have luck welding it with a band saw blade welder which is an electrical resistance welder that incorporates a tempering mode.
MIG welding doesn't work for two reasons, the filler wire is not spring steel, and the weld area is not tempered after welding.
You might have luck finding a replacement spring in another device that uses them, think tape measure, lawn mower recoil starter, tool balancer, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:46 am 
Elite

Lawn mower good idea. I wanted to use the torch and braze it but its so small and being in the middle couldn't get at it. going to Search a few more times for the right size if not going to order a small one online it's under five dollars shipped and see if it works.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:01 pm 
Elite

It works found one that was close to the size. Only cost 11.00 shipped. Had to bend the end a little to fit in the drill.