Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:27 am 
Elite

One of my goals next year is to upgrade my 135 amp mig welder to a 200 amp mig welder. I want to be able to weld sheet metal car panels but also be able to do larger stuff build a hydraulic forging press this year. I have done some research and the older 1980's Millermatic 200 has a lot of good reviews. They run $600 - $1000 old school technology large transformer build like a tank weigh 200 lbs

Then I look at the Everlast Poweri-MIG 200E MIG Welder new with 5 year warranty for $625.00 new technology only weigh 40 lbs

Both take large spool and wire.

I think the cycle time on the MM200 is better then the Everlast 3 minutes at 200 amps but it for hobby not production.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:40 pm 
Apprentice

I have the htp 200. I got it used from a friend. It is the only welder I have had but I have no complaints.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:58 pm 
Obsessed

If I ever bought another welder (which is unlikely) I wouldn't look at anything other than the latest technology. The plasma cutter Dave R. bought maybe just a year or so after I got mine cost about the same but was more capable at a fraction of the size. I saw recently that they now have multi-process welders that will MIG, TIG, and stick weld with a machine no bigger than a MIG was 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:57 pm 
Elite

went to a auction and got to see a mm 200 in person it's a beast big welder. The one at the auction was beat bad and missing the gun didn't make sense to buy. Did some more research the one thing that kind of stuck in my mine is someone said the mm 200 is so basic design that anyone with basic electrical knowledge and a volt meter can repair one. No circuit boards parts are cheap to replace. This was a good selling point for me. if I can get one under 800 I think I will pick it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:24 pm 
Elite

Jacob Nothstine wrote:
someone said the mm 200 is so basic design that anyone with basic electrical knowledge and a volt meter can repair one. No circuit boards parts are cheap to replace.

Yeah that's one of the nice things about old welders! There pretty much basic, Just a transformer & a means to supply power to the welding wire or electrode.

Not a mig welder! But to state my point, My old Marquette arc welder.
Attachment:
Marquette Arc Welder 1.JPG
Marquette Arc Welder 1.JPG [ 90.94 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

Attachment:
Marquette Arc Welder 3.JPG
Marquette Arc Welder 3.JPG [ 102.79 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

Being that you need to manually switch the power connections, The only internal moving part is the on/off switch. Also these older welders used all copper transformers & not the cheaper aluminum transformers currently used.

Doug