Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:21 am 
Elite

I just picked up an old rusty cold saw from a C/L add that I almost didn't bother responding to because it seemed like a scam or a BS add. (Metal Cut Off Saw for $10)

After several e-mails back & forth I decided to run out to Shelby Twp. & check it out!
Well to my surprise It was still there & I got it for the $10 that the add stated. :yahoo:
I originally thought it was either a miss-print/typo or a scam, But it turned out that the seller just wanted to get rid of some old equipment that was just sitting in the corner of the shop & I also don't think they knew the value of this kind of saw.

They still have some stuff out there, But no great deals like the “Metal Cut Off Saw” I got.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/5888337381.html

Judging by the motors ID. plate the saw appears to have been made in Italy?
I haven't been able to find any other markings on it other than the motor plate.
Here's some pic's of the saw just in-case someone out there may have some information on European made machines.

Attachment:
IMG_2584.JPG
IMG_2584.JPG [ 123.93 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2577.JPG
IMG_2577.JPG [ 128.41 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG [ 127.09 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG [ 126.74 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2607.JPG
IMG_2607.JPG [ 117.97 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Here's some pic's with the blade & guard removed that show the base & vise better.

Attachment:
IMG_2599.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG [ 119.06 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2600.JPG [ 111.98 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2601.JPG [ 112.12 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2603.JPG
IMG_2603.JPG [ 119.55 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2608.JPG
IMG_2608.JPG [ 121.17 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Doing some searches I was able to come up with a couple of machines that are similar but not a direct match. First one is a Thomas & the other one is called a Hyd-Mech.

If anyone happens to know the manufacture of this saw please let me know.
It actually runs pretty good, Just needs a good cleaning & some oiling after the rust is removed.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:50 am 
Elite

Wow...that's quite a find! I'm not a metal worker but do cold saws run at slow speeds, so that's a gearbox on the side between the arbor and motor? Also, the blade rotation is the opposite of what an equivalent miter saw would run which seems odd, but again I'm not familiar with these things. All I know is it looks like a great deal!
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:29 am 
Elite

Jay Houghton wrote:
Wow...that's quite a find! I'm not a metal worker but do cold saws run at slow speeds, so that's a gearbox on the side between the arbor and motor?
Yeah that's a gearbox & they only run around 50 ~ 60 RPM & use a coolant/cutting tool solution to help cool & lucubrate the blade.

About the cheapest you can buy a new one is around $1000 for a Jet Cold Saw A nice USA made Scotchman Cold Saw is probably up near $1800!

You usually see them used on e bay starting at $500, So I think the $10 was a pretty good deal. :s_cool

The forward cutting direction is new to me, But from what I have seen it's somewhat common with the European machines.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:41 am 
Elite

Jay Houghton wrote:
so that's a gearbox on the side between the arbor and motor?
On the right-hand side of the gear box is a little plunger style pump/diaphragm driven from the gearbox & it doesn't look like it has been working correctly for some time due to the dried-out/cracked diaphragm.

Attachment:
Coolant Pump 1.jpg
Coolant Pump 1.jpg [ 19.02 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

Attachment:
Coolant Pump 2.jpg
Coolant Pump 2.jpg [ 24.98 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

Attachment:
Coolant Pump 3.JPG
Coolant Pump 3.JPG [ 99.69 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

It would be nice to find a owners manual & maybe a parts list for it if possible, Just need to figure out who manufactured it first!
I would like to get the diaphragm part of the pump replaced so that it will pump coolant/cutting tool solution again.
A manual would also help in knowing what type & how much gear-oil to use in the gearbox, Figure that would need to be replaced while I'm cleaning it up.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:07 pm 
Elite

http://www.valkmachines.com/used-machin ... w-saccardo

I think Saccardo is a motor company, like Leeson and not a machine company.

Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:09 pm 
Elite

SteveStram wrote:
I think Saccardo is a motor company, like Leeson and not a machine company.
Yeah I think you right! Looks like the full name is Saccardo Elettromccanica :?

The closest match I can find so far is a Hyd-Mech P225 Their base seems pretty close to my saw's design, But the vise is a little different. The guard is also different, On the one I have the movable guard goes over the fixed guard & on the Hyd-Mech it runs inside of the fixed guard. The differences in the two could just be model year changes/upgrades?

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:26 pm 
Elite

Detroit Bandsaw has 3 models of the Hyd-Mech. It would make sense that if you found it local it could have came from them originally.
http://www.detroitbandsaw.com/product-c ... cold-saws/

Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:36 pm 
Elite

I seen that add was thinking it was a scam or gone. Greet score you might be able to run a newer metal blade that doesn't need coolest.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:43 pm 
Elite

Jacob Nothstine wrote:
I seen that add was thinking it was a scam or gone
Yeah me too, I had seen it about a week before & thought the same thing. When it was renewed is when the curiosity got to me & I sent a e-mail reply.

Jacob Nothstine wrote:
you might be able to run a newer metal blade that doesn't need coolant
The blades have a 32mm arbor with locating/locking pins so a regular newer style carbide blade wouldn't fit. The 225mm size blades for this saw have anywhere from 60~220 teeth, The finer teeth blades are good for thin wall tubing & the coarser blades are usually for thicker wall material or solid stock. Image

I disassembled part of it to get at the base & vise which were fairly rusted, The original paint looks pretty good & probably just needs a good cleaning.

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:45 am 
Elite

SteveStram wrote:
Detroit Bandsaw has 3 models of the Hyd-Mech.
Thanks for the link Steve :s_cool

Searching through their website I followed a link to Hyd-Mech's website & found a manual for their P225 cold saw which is nearly a match, My saw is probably older & changes were more than likely made through the years. The parts diagram for the head assy. looks almost identical to mine.
Attachment:
P225 Pump Unit.jpg
P225 Pump Unit.jpg [ 50.35 KiB | Viewed 293 times ]

The little rubber pump diaphragm assy. should be basically the same as the cracked/dried-out one on my saw. At-least I got a part# so I can give Detroit Bandsaw a call next week & see if it's available.

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:26 pm 
Elite

I disassembled this saw awhile back & cleaned everything up then repainted it with some left-over paint from a Craftsman jointer project.
All the pieces were stored under a workbench last winter & I figured it was finally time to dig them out & put it back together.

It's always more fun to try to reassembly something after it been sitting in pieces under a bench for months. :s_biggrin

Still need to try & find that little diaphragm pump & get a new blade for it, But I think it came out pretty good.

Attachment:
IMG_3248.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG [ 123.96 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3252.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG [ 128.11 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3251.JPG
IMG_3251.JPG [ 124.41 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3250.JPG
IMG_3250.JPG [ 96.4 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3249.JPG
IMG_3249.JPG [ 115.91 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:52 am 
Elite

SWEEeeeet, very well done. :good:

Wid T

Seen it all, done it all. Can't remember most of it .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:28 pm 
Elite

You should call saw specialties and inquire about getting the blades you have sharpened. They do metal and wood circular blades.
http://sawspec.com/ Tel: 800-729-7732
The shop is physically just west of DTW, but they have drop off points around the region.
Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:44 pm 
Elite

Wid T. wrote:
very well done.
Thanks !

If I can't find that little diaphragm pump, I figure I'll just get a regular small coolant pump for it.
There is a small area for the coolant overflow at the back of the saw's base, But it's really pretty small & would not handle much coolant flow or volume.

Now that it's finally all put back together I guess it's time to build a stand for it.
I'm probably going to make some type of stand with a top that will also act as a coolant overflow tray that will handle more coolant flow.

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 pm 
Elite

SteveStram wrote:
You should call saw specialties and inquire about getting the blades you have sharpened.
Yeah I'm probably going to look into getting the blade that came with it sharpened eventually! The blade that's on there now is a fine tooth blade made for thin ga. stock & it does have a few missing teeth but it still cuts thin metal. I'm planning to use this saw mainly for cutting thicker ga. angle iron & square tubing so I'll need a coarser blade for it.

Doug