Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:08 am 
Apprentice

Hi guys hope everyone is well I haven’t seen you in a log time I have been very busy with life.

I need some input on the lumber I should use for the outside fascia of my house. Getting ready to replace all of it and reside the house and have a new roof installed.

So here’s the deal the house is brick but the top portion of the house has two 1x10 boards I will be replacing all of it and will need about 200 LF.

Should I use Pine or Cedar or should I just make a run to L.L. Johnson's and get some poplar?

I was think of going with the poplar so I could get it a true 1” or maybe 1 ¼” thick so when the new gutters go up it will have more support.

All the boards will be primed on all sides and then it will be covered with aluminum trim.

So let me know you thought and if I would be wasting money on the poplar?

Thanks,
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:10 pm 
Obsessed

Typical material for that application is pine. It shouldn't be exposed to the elements if the rest of the job is done right, and if primed well and painted properly should be plenty good enough.

If you're dead set on milling rough stock to get to 1" dimensioned, it looks like 5/4 poplar and northern white cedar are priced about the same, and I'd tend to go with the cedar although if you're looking for ultimate resistance to rot & decay, you can pay a premium of about double and go for cypress.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:04 pm 
Elite

One option is Azek, it is a PVC 3/4" exterior trim. You can get it in smooth or faux wood grain. It is available in standard trim widths and 16" wide.

http://azek.com/products/trim

Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:53 pm 
Elite

I just went through a similar exercise but in reverse of what you want to do. When we redid the house in 2008-2009 i thought i'd be smart and use a plastic pseudo-wood product for the exterior trim. big mistake on my part. the stuff moved around like a vagrant in a freight yard. it would expand/contract in length over an 1" in 18'. It did hold paint well though. I replaced ~500 lineal feet with Windsor One. http://www.windsorone.com I got it from Fingerle Lumber in Ann Arbor but it's widely available if you're not in the AA area.

good luck with your project

d

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:33 pm 
Master

I have used the Windsor One + products also. They work well, are smooth, come primed and are treated ( certain products in their line) for rot. Just be sure to prime the ends and any cuts you make.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:46 pm 
Obsessed

i would NOT use poplar. poplar is horrible with water exposure of any kind. what about miratec? it's a wood/plastic blend, doesn't move as much as azek, and it's cheaper. paints great.

let us know what you end up using.

-- dz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:55 pm 
Apprentice

zaret wrote:
i would NOT use poplar. poplar is horrible with water exposure of any kind. what about miratec? it's a wood/plastic blend, doesn't move as much as azek, and it's cheaper. paints great.

let us know what you end up using.

-- dz

Dave and everyone else thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave have you every used the miratec? the cost of it does not look to bad and it comes in 5/4 (1") thick just wonder how well it holds screws for the gutters.

Pine would probably be just fine but I just hate working with the warped and bowed wood. plus if I use one of the others mentioned above it would save me the cost and time of priming all the pine boards.

So here is what I have so far.

Pine 1x10x16' $16.46 a board
MiraTEC 5/4 1x10x16' (True 1" thick) $35.95 a board
Windsor One+ 1x10x16' $42.30 a board
Azek 1x10x16' $64.00 a board

Azek is out just cost to much I only have so much funds to get this done.

I was leaning to the Windsor One+ but then Dave shows me this MiraTEC and now I will have to go see some in person as this looks good as long as it will hold the gutters screws good this might be the ticket.

Thanks again Everyone much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:06 am 
Obsessed

dean - yes. when I renovated my house 7 years ago we did the entire exterior in hardi panel and miratek. want a small piece to play with? I have a few offcuts if you wish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:29 am 
Master

Dean
We used cedar when we built, but we have a log home and use stain and not paint. Not sure it's an option, but feel it would be a step up from pine.

Steve