Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:33 pm 
Master

I am planning on taking Machinist training at a local community college (either Macomb-MCC or Oakland-OCC).
This is strictly for my own enjoyment/hobby and desire to create with metal and not as a career.
I want to learn both manual metal lathe & mill work as well as CNC.

From what little I can tell... it appears that MCC has the better program, but OCC is/has refurbished their machinist program.

Can anyone offer advice on which program to choose, as well as any other general advice?

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:03 pm 
Elite

I can't help you on the colleges or their classes, But manual machining & CNC machining are two different critters!

With manual machining you hardly ever want to Climb Mill And with a CNC base milling machine it's preferred to climb mill.

My training was done years ago the old faction way in a machine shop apprenticeship program that took several years to complete. The first time I ran a CNC Bridgeport I had to pretty much re-learn things all over again. Also there's a lot of programming needed to just run a simple project. CNC machines are nice for production work & when machining a radius or curved pattern, But for a home shop/hobbyist a regular manual Bridgeport & lathe would be all that you would need.

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:22 pm 
Elite

There's a group of machinists & metalworkers that meet at the MCC South campus. https://www.metrodetroitmetalworkers.com/ Their meetings are on the second Wednesday of the month at 7:00PM. They may be able to answer any questions you have on the MCC classes?

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 pm 
Obsessed

I took machining at Washtenaw CC in the middle 1970s; it opened my way to jobs back then. If I was comparing two programs, I would try to visit classes that are in session. That means that I would visit classes in the fall term before enrolling for winter. If you don't want to wait, then try to find out if there is any kind of open house or open lab event that you can visit before enrolling. But when exploring or comparing technical-ed programs, nothing beats visiting classes that are actually in session, in roughly the middle of the term. You can look up the schedule and locations of the ongoing current term, and just show up ten minutes before class and introduce yourself to the instructor, or you might want to call the department office or the instructor to pre-arrange.

Most instructors will be amazed and impressed that you took the time to do the research before enrolling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:46 pm 
Master

That's good advice Dave... Thanks!