Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 pm 
Obsessed

I have a maybe 25" OAL elevating screw for a RAS that is bent on one end.

It's about a 5/8" Acme thread, then there is a plain 5/8" unthreaded portion, then at the top there is a piece where the shaft is turned down to 7/16". It's this 2" long x 7/16" diam portion that is bent.

I tried to sleeve a pipe over it and straighten it in the machine, cold. Not so good results. Then I took it apart and tried to heat it and hammer it straight. Again, not so good results. I've decided the easiest solution is to cut off that 7/16 x 2" portion (I could do this), chuck the shaft in a lathe and drill a 3/8" hole in the end 1-1/2 or 2" deep, and then I could tap it 7/16, and make my shaft-extension out of a 7/16 grade-8 bolt. Then I could still crosspin or use Loctite for retention.

Anybody with a lathe that would be willing to drill this for me? I could pay or barter you something. Or I could do it if there was a lathe I could borrow (with a three-jaw on the headstock and a drillchuck for the tailstock). I can definitely do the cutting-off and handtapping myself, it's only the lathe I lack.

I'll be in SE Mich next week June 5-11, and I could bring the shaft. It does not have to be real precise. In fact when I was looking for the part, I found a thread on OWWM (or a similar site, OldWoodWorkingTools???) about someone that had the exact same problem and his was bent a lot worse than mine. He couldn't even get his apart without cutting off the 7/16 end.