Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB Bench grinder stands
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:14 am 
Obsessed

Normally I'd just whip up a couple of grinder stands from some MDF, but without a fully-functioning shop, and trying to not get distracted from the goal of getting the shop back up and running, I'm looking to buy a couple. My first thought was to get a couple of the cheap ones at HF, but those and similar from Amazon (Wen) and Sears all seem to have some comments that you have to do a bit of cobbling to make them work, and I really hope to bolt 'em together, put 'em on the floor and be done.

If anyone has a grinder stand around that's just getting in the way, please let me know as I'm willing to cross your palm with some coin of the realm for it. I'm looking for two.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:33 am 
Site Admin

if all else fails, take a look at the grizzly model. I have one for my grinder and it's a decent unit and steady even with my wolverine jig mounted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:18 am 
Obsessed

Dennis wrote:
if all else fails, take a look at the grizzly model. I have one for my grinder and it's a decent unit and steady even with my wolverine jig mounted.

It looks like they have two - the 7120 and the H7763. Which one do you have?

I'm thinking that maybe I could just put a shelf on the wall that will be sitting behind the spot where I was going to run the grinders. Might be a permanent solution, or I might end up swapping it out for actual stands at some later date, but for now I have to start getting stuff into some kind of order so I can get back into production! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

I have the 7120. Mounted a piece of plywood on it and bolted the grinder to that so I had a base for the wolverine jig receiver.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:00 am 
Elite

Here is the stand I would like to make for my grinder when I have some free time.

Attachments:
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG [ 58.47 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:17 am 
Obsessed

Jacob Nothstine wrote:
Here is the stand I would like to make for my grinder when I have some free time.

Yeah - that's what I'm kinda thinking of, but it would be longer to accommodate more than one machine. Since one of them is a sharpener, it would be nice to have a flat surface next to it to lay the tools that you're working on.

I'm prepping the new shop to paint everything, and everything is coming off the walls, and I may just dig out the track saw and the MFT and whip up something real quick along these lines to bolt to the wall when the paint is dry...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:17 pm 
Obsessed

I like a grinder on a wall stand, as long as you know you want to leave it there, and the wall (and floor beneath) are not combustible. "Bench grinder" is a terrible misnomer, as the grinder gets nasty grit all over your bench, thus making the bench unsuitable for any other use.

But I caution that I have known 3-4 guys over the years who burned down their shop (or worse, their house) with a fire that started with grinding sparks. Keep grinding sparks entirely away from woodchips, sawdust, and other combustibles, where they can smoulder for a long time undetected and burst into flame hours later. And consider making some kind of spark-shield around the grinder. I have sometimes used a portion of a 55-gallon steel drum for this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:47 pm 
Obsessed

Dial-up Dave wrote:
I like a grinder on a wall stand, as long as you know you want to leave it there, and the wall (and floor beneath) are not combustible.

That's the way I've decided to go, Dave. Quick and easy to do, and with all the stuff I've removed from the walls, I have a good collection of some really sturdy shelf brackets.

As to the other issues, the shelf with both the grinder and the worksharp are going to be a quite a way from any sawdust or wood chips, so I'm good there. I also have my vise and GP workbench in the same area as the grinder & worksharp, so I'm keeping grit and metal shavings away from the wood as much as possible. I've had to deal with removing shavings and grit from a woodworking project on more than one occasion...

I'm going to cover the top of the shelf and the wall behind the grinders with a sheet of formica so that it will be easy to keep clean. Metal working makes a god-awful mess, and while it's a necessity, I want to make sure that the shelf, wall and floor don't end up with a permanent streak of black residue eventually.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:22 pm 
Apprentice

I made this one from scraps I got at Jacob's favorite place. Didn't even have to cut the pieces. Very heavy as everything is 1/2".

Attachments:
20151229_180309.jpg
20151229_180309.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 684 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 pm 
Elite

Nice looking stand simple design. I need to stay away from scrap yard. Used most of the steel on my welding table that I Had in the attic was happy to lighten the load in the attic. Next week went to scrap yard and filled it back up. Couldn't pass on clean straight angle iron and square stock. \:D/ #-o

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 673 times ]