Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:43 am 
Elite

The next monthly meeting will occur on Thurs 10/15/15, 7 pm at Just_George's (Dave's) shop. This month we will be having a presentation by Neal, the General Manager of Saw Specialties in Romulus. They provide service in sharpening table saw blades, jointer knives and planer knives. Also, they sharpen carbide tipped cutters for shapers, molders, planers, and edge banders. They make bandsaw blades to length.

Raffle prizes will be something you want, so be prepared to get tickets.

As always, everyone is encouraged to bring along any items (completed projects, new tools/gadgets, interesting wood, etc) for a brief Show & Tell at the beginning of the meeting. If you have any photos you'd like to display on the TV for show and tell, please send to the club email (SEMIWWBoard at gmail.com) no later than 8/18/15. Please resize/crop to no larger than 1280x1024 before sending.
If you need directions to Dave's shop please send him or any Board member a PM. New members are encouraged to attend (and they're also encouraged to bring cookies to their first meeting).

October 15 - An introduction to saw blade sharpening by the Manager of Saw Specialty Corporation

October 20 - Board meeting *

November 19 - Presentation on furniture mending by a former owner of a Furniture Menders franchise

* Board Meetings are generally at Leo's Coney Island in Ypsilanti at 6PM on the Tuesday following the general meeting. However dates, times, and locations are subject to change due to Holidays, board member schedules, etc. Everyone is invited, but please let us know in advance so we know you are coming.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:20 pm 
Master

can we bring jointer knives for him to take and sharpen?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:44 pm 
Obsessed

I suspect it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare for him to try to keep track of things if a bunch of people brought blades/knives for sharpening. However, if you want to bring them, I'll drop them off at Stadium Hardware, where Saw Specialties does a pickup every Wednesday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:32 pm 
Obsessed

Wow - how many times when we ask somebody to come and present to us do they send US a note of thanks!! At the very least, I'd suggest that any time we send something to them for sharpening, we enclose a note that says "Thanks from SEMIWW!" Right nice of him, I think.

Regarding a return visit - maybe we could, at some time, ask him back and 'drill down' to a more specific topic. Could be a detailed description of the Tenyru line of blades, or how dado sets are sharpened, or whatever you guys want to see....but nice of him to offer either way!

"Hello club members.

I just want to thank all of you for an enjoyable and lively conversation at your last meeting!
I don’t normally do these sort of things but I would gladly come back again as your group was very welcoming and knowledgeable.
I hope I didn’t confuse people too much since so many different subjects were only touched upon briefly. The time passed so quickly!

Thanks Again,
Neal Farnung
Saw & Specialty Corp."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:53 pm 
Master

Just wanted to thank the board for inviting Neal to the October meeting. I stopped by Saw & Specialty today and Neal was gracious enough to give the tour. They stock Tenryu blades for miter saw and table saw applications along with custom length band saw blades from Morris and Starret that they weld on sight. Also thanks to the board for the coupon from the December meeting to be used at Saw & Specialty, saved me 20 percent on the combination blade that went home with me. I plan to go back and have a couple band saw blades made up in the future.

Fyi, the building is not marked other than the address. You might pass it not thinking its a business.

Eric