Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: August Meeting
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:25 am 
Elite

Our next monthly meeting will occur on Thurs 8/20/15 at 7pm at Just_George's (Dave's) shop. This month we will be discussing woodworking destinations people have gone to or found during their vacation. This could include classes you went to, notable homes and museums.

Raffle prizes will be 2 pairs of Bessey K-body clamps. You can't have enough good clamps. Bring your $$!

As always, everyone is encouraged to bring along any items (completed projects, new tools/gadgets, interesting wood, etc) for a brief Show & Tell at the beginning of the meeting. If you have any photos you'd like to display on the TV for show and tell, please send to the club email (SEMIWWBoard at gmail.com) no later than 8/18/15. Please resize/crop to no larger than 1280x1024 before sending.

If you need directions to Dave's shop please send him or any Board member a PM. New members are encouraged to attend (and they're also encouraged to bring cookies to their first meeting).

August 20 – Woodworking Destinations
August 25 – Board Meeting *
September 17 – Holiday Woodwork gifts (the ones you can make, not wish for)

* Board Meetings are generally at Leo's Coney Island in Ypsilanti at 6PM on the Tuesday following the general meeting. However dates, times, and locations are subject to change due to Holidays, board member schedules, etc. Everyone is invited, but please let us know in advance so we know you are coming.

For the September or October meeting, the Manager of Saw Specialty Corporation in Romulus may be available discuss the sharpening process and options they offer.

Post subject: Re: August Meeting
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:50 pm 
Master

Ironically I can't make it to this meeting due to traveling to Maine. No I am not allowed to take a trip to lie Nielsen. I already asked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:21 pm 
Obsessed

If you have free time during business hours and will be near Freeport, Thomas Moser factory tours can be arranged.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:55 pm 
Obsessed

I had planned to attend but one of my clients is being spun off from their parent company on 9/1 and I'm involved in the IT separation. They separated the laptop I have yesterday...today I drove it to Columbus so I could get it fixed so i could actually log in and work on my stuff.

Here's a list of suggestions I've visited over the years:

Williamsburg, VA has the cabinetmaker shop as well as a lot of furniture in the museum.

"Downeast" Maine has a few destinations. There's the Hulls Cove Tool Barn on Mt. Desert Island near Bar Harbor, plus Lie Nielsen in Warren and the Moser shop near Freeport and a gallery in Freeport as mentioned above. There are Moser galleries in other cities as well.

Grizzly showrooms are worth a visit if you are near one--two closest are Williamsport PA and Springfield MO.

If you are headed to Canada, there's the Lee Valley stores in several cities. Closest is London and there's a few in metro Toronto.

If you are in Columbus, OH there's Woodwerks which is a huge woodworking store--mostly power tools, wood, and an in-store Rockler.

In NE Ohio, there's a few places. Hartville has a large flea market and Hartville Hardware, home of Hartville Tool. Supposed to be America's largest independent hardware store. In Charm, there's Keim Lumber which has a huge tool department and a lot of wood.