Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:04 pm 
Master

Our bathroom upstairs is in what used to be attic space so the walls are angled with the pitch of the roof. I picked up a nice little light fixture at home depot on clearance to replace the ugly thing in there now. Problem is the little arm that mounts to the box/wall is meant for a vertical wall. I have unscrewed it and made the fit modifications on the spindle sander to get the fit right but I need to tack it back together without damaging the surrounding chrome. I think it's stamped steel but it looks like there is a brassy finish under the chrome. I tested it with a magnet and it stuck so I"m thinking a couple zaps with either a tig or well placed mig would do the trick.

Anyone skilled at making one metal thing stick to another?
I'll try and snap some pictures later tonight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:32 pm 
Elite

Any amount of heat capable of melting the base metal to perform the weld will be enough heat to discolor the chrome on the surrounding metal. The brassy finish is the first part of the chrome plating process, the heat from welding will likely compromise this layer causing delamination of the chrome layer near the weld. Can you reattach the arm with screws or other mechanical means?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:18 pm 
Elite

Bob is right. You would also want to remove some of the chrome around the weld or it will contaminate the weld. I could try to mig it back together for you. My mig has gas so there is less splatter then a non gas or flux welder. But I'm not the best welder so if you can't fine anyone else drop me a email.

JB weld? Touch up Chrome paint for Hobby shop.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:18 pm 
Obsessed

Welding anything that thin is a challenge, and you certainly aren't going to do it without significant discoloration. As suggested, I'd look for some kind of alternative way of attaching it if at all possible...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:42 pm 
Master

OK, here are the pics. Pardon the dark gray, I tried to use some of that metal 2 part epoxy clay you knead together. That didn't work... The bracket piece has a cover so I"m hoping we can do a quick zap with the welder and minimize the discoloration. I know some is going to happen no matter what but the actual welding spot is concealed.

Attachments:
File comment: Where the widget needs melded.
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG [ 112.09 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]
File comment: Approximate location of where I need the bracket
IMG_0714.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG [ 143.45 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]
File comment: Modified bracket.
IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG [ 95.71 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]
File comment: Attachement site. I need to clean it up with the dremel again after the failed epoxy attempt.
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG [ 133.88 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]
File comment: Roughly how it was built orginally, before I sanded the bracket it was meant to suspend the light from a vertical wall as you would expect.
IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG [ 120.3 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:13 am 
Elite

It appears that the "arm" is a casting, not a stamping, likely a nonferrous metal which pretty much rules out mig or tig welding completely. Judging by the 3 spots on the host piece it looks like it was originally either resistance (spot) welded or some form of mechanical fastener. If it was me I would be looking at screws or rivets or a different fixture.