Southeast Michigan Woodworkers

Gather, share, learn and enjoy with other woodworkers!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum subscriptions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:29 pm 
Obsessed

Mike and/or Rick -

Is it possible for either of you to check and see what subscriptions the board has for me?

I noticed a while back that I wasn't getting any notices for things posted in the two sub-forums that I'd subscribed to. I've had this happen before, and my usual remedy is to un-subscribe from the forum, and re-subscribe.

I've done that twice in the last few months, and I'm still not getting notices when posts are made to those two forums. My User Control Panel shows me subscribed to both sub-forums, but it doesn't seem to "take" for some reason.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Forum subscriptions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:53 pm 
Obsessed

Steve, I went through and can't see any access to your subscription information.

I checked my sent mail, since notifications go through my gmail account. I see a few the 18th/19th, few 5th/8th, and then back into March. I'm guessing those are around your reset times?

Shop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:21 pm 
Obsessed

I think those dates correspond to notifications from threads I posted to. I've tried to reset my sub-forum subscriptions a couple of times since January, I think the most recent was in March sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Admin

There's no guarantee that mail sent will actually make it to it's destination, especially notification type messages generated from servers. I would suggest using an RSS feed if you want to keep track of the forum without logging in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:20 am 
Obsessed

Mike Ward wrote:
There's no guarantee that mail sent will actually make it to it's destination, especially notification type messages generated from servers. I would suggest using an RSS feed if you want to keep track of the forum without logging in.

Hmmm...

Odd that I used to get notification of posts in these two sub-forums very reliably, and I still get notices as to posts in threads that I've posted to (I have my profile set up to automatically do this, just as I have subscribed to two sub-forums).

Can't see why emails sent in response to a thread post would be any different than an email sent as a sub-forum subscription.

Just goes once again to prove my point that computers are the Spawn of the Devil! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

The only point I'm making is that the forum is likely posting the emails.

There's an expectation that an email sent is an email received. It just doesn't work that way. The email protocols do not guarantee delivery (much like first-class snail mail). And with all the filters trying to knock down spam, there's a good chance that "something about posts from the forums in question", is flagging it has spam.

I keep a hotmail account for the sole purpose of receiving emails from my financial advisor. For whatever reason, if he sends to my gmail account, it bounces like a bullet off of Superman. He has other clients with gmail accounts that work fine. Go figure...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:38 pm 
Obsessed

The other problem is that I don't run my own email server any more. It's too much work to keep up and too easy to get blacklisted. All emails from here go through my personal Gmail account and sometimes Google likes to hate me. If you have specific 'I should have gotten an email on this date about this post' I can try to look. However, as I said, I can't see your subscriptions. I don't know which forums you're talking about.

Honestly though, subscriptions work in strange ways. I know I get emails, but only if I visit every so often. If I don't check the forums for a day or two, then I don't get 'new post' messages. I'm not sure how the forum is doing it (not checked the source) and as I've tried to back out of maintenance due to time constraints (80hr weeks before Ubuntu 13.04 comes out == woodworking? What's that?). I'm sorry it's giving you trouble.

If the RSS feeds work reliably check out https://ifttt.com/ and setup a pattern of emails based of the rss feeds and take the forum subscription code out of the picture.

Shop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 pm 
Obsessed

OK - thanks, guys. Never got that deep into email protocols and spam filtering technology. just a dumb user like most :)

I'll goof around with it some. I just transitioned to a new email service, so that might change something. I'll look at the RSS option too.

Post subject: Forum subscriptions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Look into tapatalk as well if you don't have it already. I'd be lost without the "unread" tab or favorites

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:39 am 
Site Admin

search.php?search_id=newposts

It shows you the new posts since your last visit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:44 am 
Obsessed

For whatever reason, in the last 24 hours I've started getting notices of postings in the two forums I'm subscribed to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Must have paid your forum dues. No pay, no play!

How much are the monthly dues you ask?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 pm 
Obsessed

Ah! That musta been it...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:42 am 
Elite

Ok now I'm having issues with getting my e-mail notifications.
I was missing one here and there every so often but in the last few days I've noticed that I should of received a bunch more than I have.
I was getting them before with no problems but in the last few months it's been getting worse.

Any spelling errors are not the posters fault but the stupid phone that it was typed on
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:48 am 
Obsessed

Good luck with that - I've been getting maybe 2% of the notifications I should be receiving for at least the past 6 months.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:14 pm 
Elite

Like this right here. I just happened to check the site and seen this message posted an half hour ago and I got no notification of it.

Any spelling errors are not the posters fault but the stupid phone that it was typed on

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 am 
Obsessed

I signed up for some subscriptions yesterday and they are working for me BUT...I think I've observed that you will get one email for new activity on a forum, then no other emails until you visit that forum, or possibly no other emails period. Not enough activity to tell for sure. And obviously you have to be logged in when you visit for the software to know you're you.

Could that be what you guys are seeing? And/or could Tapatalk visits not be resetting whatever internal trigger to start sending emails again?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:28 am 
Obsessed

I visit via the web probably 20 times for every time I access via Tapatalk.

I usually respond to any subscription notice I get, so whatever "reset" mechanism there is should be kicking in. Maybe there's something on my browsers that is preventing that from happening, but it'd have to be happening on both my office and home machines...

It seems too that I get subscription notices pretty reliably for any thread that I post to. What I don't get is notices of new posts in the two forums I am subscribed to - the Board and Classified forums.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 am 
Elite

No notice of that there was a new posting on this thread.
I've gotten emails on 3 separate subscription threads before and if I subscribed to the classified forum and I posted something in it, I would get a email saying there was a new post in the classifieds and a email saying someone replied to a post I made in the classified.
I've checked the forums with my computer and made sure I was logged in and still didn't get notifications later on.
I do get notifications from other forum sites and I usually only check those with tapatalk so it seems like its not a tapatalk thing, unless this forum just needs a tapatalk update

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:40 am 
Obsessed

I did get a notice about the posts to this thread (reinforcing what I mentioned about getting notices on participated threads).

I'm subscribed to a couple of sub-forums on another site, and get those notices reliably, but I'm pretty sure the forum software is different over there (http://www.bikeforums.net). That board also doesn't support Tapatalk.

Edit to add that I've gotten maybe a total of two or three subscription notices via Tapatalk since I first installed it well over a year ago. Those notices are seriously not working for me (on iOS6).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Tapatalk is expired on this forum and I have no worldly idea how to renew it. See the messages in this post above.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:23 pm 
Obsessed

Steve Sawyer wrote:
I'm subscribed to a couple of sub-forums on another site, and get those notices reliably, but I'm pretty sure the forum software is different over there (http://www.bikeforums.net). That board also doesn't support Tapatalk.

They are using vBulletin--different software. vBulletin also owns Forum Runner which is a Tapatalk competitor so they might support that.

When was the last time we updated the forum software to the latest phpBB?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

It's been a couple of years since our last update. Updates are usually disruptive or at least they have been in the past.

If you're using email notifications, then it's likely not the forum software that is at issue but the hosting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:02 pm 
Obsessed

So why don't we get complaints about missed PM notifications?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Admin

PM's are handled internally by the forum software. It does not have to rely on an external system for delivery.

Email goes through the host's email server. It then bounces around to other email servers until it finds a server with the destination email address. It's not a point-to-point connection.

Emails routinely get blocked for all sorts of reasons. There's no guarantee of delivery with email (much like first class mail). That fact that email notifications work on a different forum probably has more to do with where it's hosted and not the forum software.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:56 am 
Obsessed

But most of us also get email notifications of PMs. Those aren't failing with any regularity. And Steve pointed out that if he's posted in a thread, he gets the notifications reliably. That all tells me its the forum software not sending the notifications, not an email issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:58 am 
Elite

But I'm not getting notifications about any post in this thread and I've posted in it a few times already.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:14 am 
Obsessed

But Lon did get an email on a PM I sent him. Will he get an email about this post?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:22 am 
Elite

Yes, just got it.
I'm on tapatalk now and was on the computer before.
Let's see if I get a email now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 am 
Elite

Does tapatalk have push notification turned on/ installed?
I ask because on two other forums sites where I've been posting I get emails notifications even with using tapatalk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Some email servers have throttle limits has to how many emails they'll allow at a time. Servers do this to prevent spam-bots and denial of service attacks. Most email servers that I've worked with don't notify you when they throttle sent emails. They simply throw the email away (to try and fool bots). Result: software thinks it's sent an email, but it hasn't.

I went spelunking through the config and found a forum setting that controls the rate that emails are sent out. I set it to the slowest setting. Perhaps that will improve things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Mike! Can you look into the tapatalk update when you get time?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Rick will have to handle that one. I no longer have FTP access.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 pm 
Obsessed

Right now the email all goes through my personal Google account using local email software on the server. Google might get cranky sometimes and there's not a lot I can do about it right now. I've stopped running my own email server and I've been trying to get the site moved elsewhere and don't want to setup additional services to handle emails at peak times.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

Shop